They telling me tight is right.?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Steve.k
Guru
Guru
They telling me tight is right.?

Post by Steve.k »

Working on a 460bbf with stock rods n crank. Both .020 undersize. I changed machine shops as my ol guy retired so this guy cuts the crank a little tighter. Im getting 2.2-2.3 thou on the 2.4802 journal. 2.4 on all mains. He assures me thats the way to roll. I’ve always liked 2.7 on main and 2.5+ on rods? Thoughts you guys? Do i open up? Steve
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Re: They telling me tight is right.?

Post by swampbuggy »

Hello Steve: I would say that bearing clearances are kinda like octane in fuels, it is being on the safe side by having a little too much rather than not enough. I remember Warp Speed posting something like..the quality of your parts ( strength and machined accuracy to sizing ) has a lot to do with what clearances you can get away with. All of this as we know affects oil thickness variables also. Mark H.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Yes I remember that. The nascar runs tight tight. Im spooked this pump gas may get a bad shot then bad news.
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

Steve.k wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:56 pm Working on a 460bbf with stock rods n crank. Both .020 undersize. I changed machine shops as my ol guy retired so this guy cuts the crank a little tighter. Im getting 2.2-2.3 thou on the 2.4802 journal. 2.4 on all mains. He assures me thats the way to roll. I’ve always liked 2.7 on main and 2.5+ on rods? Thoughts you guys? Do i open up? Steve
Make sure you have enough rod side clearance and keep the oil light and warm the engine up first, I like your numbers as they are more on the safe side , the numbers you have are on the tighter side , but with a little care and common sense your engine will live for a long time. [-o< [-o<
tuffxf
Pro
Pro

Post by tuffxf »

G'day,
If it's cut .010, can you get .009 bearings and half shell it?
Too tight for me especially with stock parts
Cheers :D
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

One can only assume from reading this that since you are running stock rods and crank that you are not looking to make over some 600 hp.

If this is the case then the clearances the shop says will work are fine!
If there’s a chance of you stepping up to better or reworked heads and bigger Cams down the road to top 600 hp then go with the tad larger clearances since the crank will flex more in terms of a factory one.
Just note that once you get up to .003” it’s 50 weight oil time !
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

This engine be a mid 400 hp deal built with tq in mind. Hyd roller and shorty headers. 79 F150 4x4 and occasional towing of boat to lake. 9.5 compression.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

tuffxf wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:10 am G'day,
If it's cut .010, can you get .009 bearings and half shell it?
Too tight for me especially with stock parts
Cheers :D
Thanks tuffxf. Its cut .020 on both. Using a cb818p-20 clevite77
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Steve.k wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:41 am This engine be a mid 400 hp deal built with tq in mind. Hyd roller and shorty headers. 79 F150 4x4 and occasional towing of boat to lake. 9.5 compression.
Unless this uses "bolt down" or "shaft rockers", a hydraulic roller cam and valve train will become a mistake.

O.E.M. Cobra Jet clearances, NEW, are allowed to be much tighter than that ... (.0006" minimum).
400 horsepower is merely above stock passenger car stuff.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

mag2555 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:16 am One can only assume from reading this that since you are running stock rods and crank that you are not looking to make over some 600 hp.

If this is the case then the clearances the shop says will work are fine!
If there’s a chance of you stepping up to better or reworked heads and bigger Cams down the road to top 600 hp then go with the tad larger clearances since the crank will flex more in terms of a factory one.
Just note that once you get up to .003” it’s 50 weight oil time !
This is not a small block Chevrolet ... O.E.M. big block Ford cranks hardly flex at all, even over 700 horsepower.
The rods are a different story.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

At that power level and that use and rpm it will see I can tell you that you will have no problems at all Steve.
A 460 needs nothing fancy at that Hp level.
Craig.
PeterGunn

Post by PeterGunn »

It has been said: Run your bearings loose, no one will know. Run your bearings too tight, everyone will know.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:39 pm
Steve.k wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:41 am This engine be a mid 400 hp deal built with tq in mind. Hyd roller and shorty headers. 79 F150 4x4 and occasional towing of boat to lake. 9.5 compression.
Unless this uses "bolt down" or "shaft rockers", a hydraulic roller cam and valve train will become a mistake.

O.E.M. Cobra Jet clearances, NEW, are allowed to be much tighter than that ... (.0006" minimum).
400 horsepower is merely above stock passenger car stuff.
Walter we bought the bolt down scorpion style roller rockers. Im maybe conservative on hp. It has ported d3 heads and cam lift in high .500 area. Flat top 9.5.autotec pistons.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

864A077C-B78F-4134-A0E5-E4A8D9972AE1.jpeg
Cam specs smaller than first thought. Randy I decided to go hyd roller only because I’m not a 100% sure on this guy’s maintenance and commitment to oil services. This will be first one i did this way. Usually flat tappet. Its not to late to change if you dont think its good idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Steve.k wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:41 pm Cam specs smaller than first thought. Randy I decided to go hyd roller only because I’m not a 100% sure on this guy’s maintenance and commitment to oil services. This will be first one i did this way. Usually flat tappet. Its not to late to change if you dont think its good idea.
With a "bolt down" valve train it will not slightly side load the valve stems from the more pushrod angularity but, transfer that energy to the fulcrum which won't twist like with a rocker on a stud.
'Look out for the pushrods side loading on the pushrod hole in the head; clearance if needed.