solid flat tappet valve lash

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PRH
Guru
Guru

Re: solid flat tappet valve lash

Post by PRH »

Some 440 heads came with single square groove intake valves, although I don’t know what determined that.
As Walter said, “most” have 2 groove intake/4 groove exhaust valves.
Some HD and industrial applications that came with rotators on the exhaust will have 2 groove exhaust valves.

Best to pull a retainer off each to verify what you have.

The 748 retainer is for 10* locks.
Comp does offer 2 and 4 groove 10* locks for the stock valves, but if you need a mix of single groove and 4 groove, they don’t offer than in a single package.

Having used the 2/4 groove combo with 10* locks in the past, I can tell you that it ended up with a different installed height between the intake and exhaust valves.

I don’t recall ever using the single groove/4 groove combo with 10* retainers/locks.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

thank you Walter. I had those reversed, 4 groove exhaust, square cut intake however.
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

alright, screw this.

just going to order new valves for this and stop wasting my time trying to mince different part combinations together.
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

Summit has Proform : rockers and shafts , Mopar licensed with Mopar logo for $407 looks like they are bronze bushed.
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

you guys are awsome.

hope everybody's Monday Is going better than mine!
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

amc fan wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:59 pm Summit has Proform : rockers and shafts , Mopar licensed with Mopar logo for $407 looks like they are bronze bushed.
The Proform BBM rockers I saw a few years ago did not appear to be a good fit as far as the roller tip alignment over the valve stem (fulcrum length too short).

I don't know if those particular parts have been changed since then, but it's worth checking if you go with them.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

PackardV8 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:10 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:59 pm
ProPower engines wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:20 am
The 383 thru 440 using a solid cam set up needs adjustable rocker arms.
That is actually not true ... I have personally used different thickness lash caps to set the valve lash, (individually surface ground), with production stamped steel rockers with a solid lifter cam & lifter set on a big block Mopar engine.

It is rather time consuming but, it can be done, especially if rules state that stock production rocker arms must be used.

The issue becomes that everyone thinks they are an engine builder yet they don't have the resources to do this kind of thing.
Agree, Walter; it can be done.

The tradeoff occurs when the valve train seats in and wears a bit. Is the owner ready and able to do what is necessary for subsequent adjustment?
This begs the question... why would someone take that approach vs using adjustable pushrods with the OEM rockers?
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

BradH wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:58 pmThis begs the question... why would someone take that approach vs using adjustable pushrods with the OEM rockers?
Adjustable pushrods bring their own special kind of hell. Try doing precision work with three small wrenches and a feeler gauge in two hands and one soon learns they require five hands to do an adjustment accurately and quickly:

One hand to hold the wrench which locks the pushrod.
One hand to hold the wrench which locks the lock nut
One hand to hold the wrench which turns the adjuster
One hand to hold the feeler gauge
One hand to actuate the remote starter button.

It's difficult enough with the hood off, but effectively impossible if the hood is on the car.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Mopar used adjustable rockers in the engines they put solid lifter cams in.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

PackardV8 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:08 pm
BradH wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:58 pmThis begs the question... why would someone take that approach vs using adjustable pushrods with the OEM rockers?
Adjustable pushrods bring their own special kind of hell...
No doubt. I've used them only for setting hydraulic lifter preload, not valve lash. Didn't say that I would like doing it, only that I thought it made more sense than custom-fitting lash caps to set clearance like to a shim & bucket setup.

Using non-adjustable OEM stamped shaft rockers with solid lifters seems like an odd idea in the first place. Guess you had to be there to understand the logic for it.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I was at a big car show and was talking with one of my old race friends and he says he sets his engine lash cold with aluminum heads to the card specs. I said he was wrong on doing that and giving away hp at the top end plus you will beat the crap out of the valve tips if it's too loose. I asked if I could come over and set them for him as he has had a bout with cancer and I really want to see him run quicker than 10.40 with his car.