chain auto parts stores vs internet sellers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PSA
Re: chain auto parts stores vs internet sellers

Post by PSA »

Between quality, delivery time, as described/correct, post sales support and so on it's just a coin toss these days.
Most car mfg buy parts from those who make them for the price that fits their budget, so aftermarket parts can be of higher quality at a lower price.
Parts stores that don't have it in stock can take much longer than some online stores (even from another country).
I've had far less problems (so far) with returning something that I bought online, even from other countries.
So I would say that if the small local business wants to stay in business, then some of them need to step up their game and compete with what the others can't.
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

BillK wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:31 pm
Lizardracing wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:21 pm I'm not against buying local at all, supporting small or local business and all that but I can't afford to not have a operating vehicle for 5 days an 4 trips to the parts store, on a standard brake job that took less than an hour to swap parts. I demand better and I'll go where I need to get good service.
Just curious . . . . . did you even try the dealer ? I bet they probably would have had them or at least been able to get them for you pretty quick and more than likely the correct parts.
I did not. Our local dealerships are terrible. One company owns Toyota, Chrysler, Nissan, Hyundai, Ford, Jeep, Dodge, Volkswagen, Honda, Mitso, Lincoln and Kia and BMW.
Subaru, Benz and Mercedes are still separate of the Mclarty Auto Group. Mclarty is HORRIBLE is all regards of business.
Toyota would tell me because it's a 08, it's too old to sell parts for and I should just by something else from them.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

dynoflo wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:48 pm Heres my take on buying from dealers. Had 7.3 ford dlesel blow a O ring on HPOP. It was a rush job. Called 3 suppliers-didnt know what i was talking about. Went to my favorite Ford thief and paid $66.00 for 3 O rings. Later that day i looked on internet and they were all over the place for 10 to 15 dollars. If that isnt stealing jesse james wasnt a bad guy.
But you know what ....... you got it fixed, didn't you :) The online places did you no good.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com