New spark plug design

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru
New spark plug design

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

I see Summit is selling these now, anybody here tried them? https://vimeo.com/55302461
Pro question poster.
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru
Re: New spark plug design

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

Pro question poster.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

For even a guaranteed 1% increase in economy, performance or efficiency as long as it was a measurable consistent gain, the oems would have them as original equipment on everything they sell. The amount of time and money spent chasing better cafe average is staggering. But somehow they always manage to go back to the standard style plugs. Even in their high performance models. Just some food for thought.

At the end of the day many have tried to build a better mouse trap, yet when I walk into the hardware store to get one it's still the old trusty piece of wood with a spring and a latch being sold. I suspect these spark plugs are the same scenario.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Delivers The Most Powerful SPARK EVER Directly to the
Core of your Cylinder For a Complete Clean Combustion.
Also available:
Brooklyn Bridge shares
200 mpg carburetors
Acme Snake oil and elixir
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

The intensity of a spark during the glow discharge phase is not uniform along its length but is strongest right where the spark enters or leaves a metal surface. A conventional plug has two of these surfaces at any given time. This plug has four surfaces. So maybe there is a difference. Don’t really know.

Me? I’m a fan of fine wire plugs if possible, with big gaps, lots of current and lots of duration.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Bill Chase wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:22 pm For even a guaranteed 1% increase in economy, performance or efficiency as long as it was a measurable consistent gain, the oems would have them as original equipment on everything they sell.
Unless they don't last as long as current oem plugs.

I'm not saying I buy into this new w/e plug but plugs can make a diff as well all know. Now in my opinion the plug strap design or multi strap depends on the head chamber, IE center plug location chambers VS 23 deg sbc. The plug in the OP links seems like maybe just a odd way of an iridium fine electrode plug. Wouldn't be the first time that someone made money off a un-necessary slight redesign of a good part already.

I have a plug that I want to test this fall for a video, can't wait to see how that turns out.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

What is interesting to add is that plugs firing in a combustion environment ionize first, that is, they super heat the air between the gaps, the colour we see is metal of the ground strap and electrode surfaces burning. Nickel alloys last pretty well in modern engines with modern ignitions, but its the rare metal plugs that last for extended mileages as they erode far less than nickel.
You will not read conductance with a multi meter from the cap end to the electrode in a booster gap plug, there are also resistors built into the majority of plugs, which will also include a booster gap.

A good ignition gives enough discharge time [milliseconds] and spark energy [joules] to successfully initiate combustion in lean mixture environments at all times.
A strong spark is heard, not so much seen, a distinctive click when a plug fires is far more desirable than witnessing the consumption of metal.

Many years ago we were running a drag bike in a house garage and some of the guys in the house got the sh~ts with what we were doing out in the shed and pulled the fuse on us, well, what a favor they did us, in pitch darkness we observed spark leakage inside the laminated bars of the coils showing as a quite vivid glow, at that point we had not had an indication that the ignition was faulty, a change in ET next time out after the replacement of the ignition proved what we had observed as a distinctive fault.

The plug in this nitrode demonstration has a very wide exposed discharge area compared to the conventional single electrode plug.

Cheers.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Very foolish to dismiss a new product/idea out of hand.....just because it is different. Related to spark plugs, I can think of two examples:
- projected nose core plugs. They were going to melt & do all sorts of bad things. Now they are standard in most NA engines.
- when the copper electrode plug arrived. Hysterical claims, from Champion from memory, about the copper 'melting'. Now all the plug companies including Champion use copper...
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

I worked for Allied Signal (Fram/Bendix/Autolite) during the "Splitfire" days. Let's just say, in reality, they were no better than an out of the box Autolite. ;)

Sounds like another get rich quick scheme to me.

Did a search on the address... Sure seems like a fly by night business.
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
rp930
Pro
Pro

Post by rp930 »

They have to be good. They are chrome.
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

I found this from 2014 a guy used them.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthrea ... park-Plugs

Decide for yourself.

Here is an old school oil burner that a guy ran the plugs in.

https://www.binderplanet.com/forums/ind ... 28.142906/

I have tried all kinds of spark plugs in newer stuff and old school oil burners and best plugs for me have been Motorcraft, Champions or AC plugs.

I left the original Motorcraft spark plugs in my 1982 Ford Mustang for the life of the vehicle.
I just cleaned and regapped them as needed and MPG never changed.
I got 27 MPG from that inline 6 200" engine.
376,000 miles on it and the engine and trans was still fine but the car fell apart around it.

I stuck the original split fires in a Nova I had with 11.9 compression 350" engine and those would pop and act like a rev limiter at 4500 rpm.
Would not rev any higher.
That was the oddest thing that I had ever seen with a spark plug change.

I had a KX250 that was very finicky on spark plugs some spark plugs you would not get out of the driveway before they fouled out.
It loved NGK V groove plugs.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Let me see here, he is trying to re-invent the wheel. Years ago I used to J gap all my plugs and it was worth about 1/2 tenth at the track, problem was the plugs were good for about one race. If you need every last thou racing that these may be the hot ticket, but other than what I have seen over the years most plugs are about the same for me except for Champions, they make my cars run like crap. :lol:
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Another snake oil plug ,and all they need to do is get 100m suckers to just try it one time and they will call it a success.And guess what you won’t get your money back.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

A wise man once told me pay attention to what oems are doing when it comes to ignition system. They spend more than the GDP of many third world countries annually looking for even the faintest increases in combustion efficiency. And if there is merit to a particular design spark plug you will see it as original equipment on various models. In the last 50 years what have oems changed in their spark plugs? Platinum/iridium tips, coated ground straps maybe?

The entire coil and triggering systems have improved, but spark plugs are by and large the same. One could argue their end goals are emissions and surviving warranty, not maximum power. Fair enough, go to the pits of nascar, f1, national level drag racing and see what they are doing. I bet it's not so far off of oem. There's always the exception but I'd say snake oil until you see an oem embrace it completely. Ymmv.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

I'd be more inclined to be careful with the quality of replacement regardless of brand.