Non-adjustable valvetrain w/mild performance cam?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Non-adjustable valvetrain w/mild performance cam?

Post by travis »

Nobody seems to do this, so I’m asking…

On a mild performance build, is there anything wrong with running a stock style non adjustable valvetrain with a mild hydraulic roller cam? As long as the lifter preload falls somewhere in the .025-.040” range, and the rocker to valve tip contact looks good, I don’t see a problem. But I want to make sure I’m not overlooking anything.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Non-adjustable valvetrain w/mild performance cam?

Post by mag2555 »

What are you referring to a shaft mounted valve train?

A general answer to your question is yes, as long as

1) you can get the push rod length set for decent geometry since the Roller Cam base circle will be lower then stock.

2) the push rod preloads they lifter some when then needed length is set for the best geometry.

3) stud mounted the rockers will need a long enough stud slot for the amount of valve lift.

4) valve spring pressure is enough to deal with the added weight of the greater mass of a roller lifter.

5) the valve spring still has enough room to be out of its coil bind spec.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

travis wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:17 am Nobody seems to do this, so I’m asking…

On a mild performance build, is there anything wrong with running a stock style non adjustable valvetrain with a mild hydraulic roller cam? As long as the lifter preload falls somewhere in the .025-.040” range, and the rocker to valve tip contact looks good, I don’t see a problem. But I want to make sure I’m not overlooking anything.
Was done all the time back in the day. OEMs had them in their performance catalogs.

It's theoretically possible to regrind a profile which takes too much off the heel and get rocker angle cattywhompas, but OP did specify "mild".
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

travis wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:17 am Nobody seems to do this, so I’m asking…

Will work well and won't come out of adjustment.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

No problem using stock valve train with mild camshafts, except you still have to check that the lifter is preloaded properly, even if the engine has a non adjustable valvetrain. I have seen some of the cheaper mild camshafts, that to get the lift and duration they wanted they reduced the base circle on a stock cam core. So in that case you need a longer push rod. I had several LA mopar engines that If I remember right used a mild Melling camshaft, still got a pile of stock length mopar push rods in my storage pile.