Oil Filter Filtration and Flow Testing per ISO 4548-12

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

i82much
Re: Oil Filter Filtration and Flow Testing per ISO 4548-12

Post by i82much »

has anyone seen a test like this for the K&N HP oil filters? I use the HP2006 for a Pontiac application where the nut on the bottom of the filter makes life MUCH easier when it is time to change the oil.
408swinger
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 408swinger »

Ken_Parkman wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:06 am I had one come apart and the resulting crap plugged the regulating valve. This is after years of saying the internet was over reacting on Fram and still buying them.

It will take a fair amount to recover from that experience and regain confidence.
I worked for a Dodge dealer when the Cummins first came out . About 2 years after the launch engines were failing . Dodge had us pull the engines and send them back so the engineers could do autopsies . Turned out the cause was cheap filters coming apart and clogging oil feeds. They soon sent out a bulletin with a list of approved filters... any use of non -approved filters would void the warranty . That was an eye opener !
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

To me there is always a tradeoff between amount of particles trapped vs volume that bypasses the filter. Some bypass always happens, even at operating temp.
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

treyrags wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:22 am To me there is always a tradeoff between amount of particles trapped vs volume that bypasses the filter. Some bypass always happens, even at operating temp.
In applications where the oil volume, viscosity, and filter size are all well matched and in good condition, bypass events aren't very common. They'll be more common using filters with a higher PSID (lower flow) since bypass valves operate off PSID, but even these are rare comparatively. Common times are on initial startup when the oil is >100 cSt, especially cold starts, and times of high oil volume such as when you're ringing it out at high rpm. Both are times I'd want the bypass there and functioning to ensure sufficient oil flow as I'd rather have dirty oil in the bearings than no oil. The best way to minimize bypass events, aside from using a better flowing filter, is to use a larger filter.

I think a lot of the failures of older entry level Fram filters, and similar cheap filters of the era, were attributed to people deleting the filter bypass and proceeding to start it up in 50*F weather, with 20W-50 oil, and proceed the rev the hell out of it creating a massive pressure differential in the filter and are surprised when the filtration media and standpipe collapses.
chimpvalet
Pro
Pro

Post by chimpvalet »

Good points made above, to which I'd add that using a good filter and keeping it and the oil reasonably fresh means that even on bypass there's not a lot of dirty oil flowing.
BobbyB
Pro
Pro

Post by BobbyB »

RDY, For a street/strip Ford small block, what filter do you recommend? How bad is the Motorcraft?
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

BobbyB wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:32 pm RDY, For a street/strip Ford small block, what filter do you recommend? How bad is the Motorcraft?
I would personally use a Fram Ultraguard XG8A.

The Motorcraft FL1A hasn't been as problematic as others like FL500 and FL820. BITOG has several threads about the failures such as this one.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threa ... re.319670/
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

BobbyB wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:32 pm RDY, For a street/strip Ford small block, what filter do you recommend? How bad is the Motorcraft?
I've been usung either the Wix 51515 or Amsoil filters in my sbf for many years. The Amsoil filter has more bypass at cold startup because of finer micron rating. I run Morel high rpm hydraulic roller lifters that have very tight tolerances, so it needs to be super clean oil.
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

Hard to beat the Baldwin B253:
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

treyrags wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:42 pm
I've been usung either the Wix 51515 or Amsoil filters in my sbf for many years. The Amsoil filter has more bypass at cold startup because of finer micron rating. I run Morel high rpm hydraulic roller lifters that have very tight tolerances, so it needs to be super clean oil.
The Amsoil filters flow comparable to the Fram Ultraguard so bypass events would be minimal. Fram took notes from Amsoil when they redesigned the Ultraguard filters as they are constructed similar. They have a double layered media which allows for depth filtration without slowing flow very much.

On top of that, the flow and filtration is quite different between cellulose and synthetic media. Synthetic fibers are smaller and more tightly wound so you can filter to smaller sizes while retaining the same or more flow area. That's how the Fram Ultraguard has both better filtration and flow than the ACDelco Gold (cellulose) filter in the ISO test.
Synthetic vs Cellulose filtration flow restriction.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.