Re: Jeg's Hydraulic Lifters USA Made

Post by adynes »

X=R-(R^2-(d/2)^2)^0.5
R=crown radius
d=lifter diameter
Paul Kane

Post by Paul Kane »

I don't know where the lifters in question within this thread come from, so I won't speculate about that.

What I will say is that I do know people in other industries who pull off calling their items "Made In America" specifically because of the Fed's guidelines around cost of goods sold, specifically, the "cost of direct labor/overhead" clause in the above-noted Federal guidelines. All this company has to do is charge $500 per hour to assemble the offshore components together and--oilah--the greatest portion of the cost takes place in the United States. Made in America, uh-huh....
We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

Thanks to everyone.
Monza355
Expert
Expert

Post by Monza355 »

And now they are even offering them on sale for the price of 44.99$ for the set of 16 !
xxdabroxx

Post by xxdabroxx »

You can even get a $56.99 made in USA cam to go with 'em! https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/200007/10002/-1
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

xxdabroxx wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:16 am You can even get a $56.99 made in USA cam to go with 'em! https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/200007/10002/-1
That's about what I pay for a cam core.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
xxdabroxx

Post by xxdabroxx »

That's crazy. I guess there is a market for bottom of the barrel parts but I just can't see spending the time to build an engine and putting complete junk parts in it.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

[/quote]

How much crown (convex) should be on a lifter to spin properly?
[/quote]

The crown on flat tappets is very slight. The crown is actually measured in inches of radius on manufacturing prints. This radius may be in the order of 25.000 inches, so an automotive lifter with a crown of this magnatude will have a very slight crown. It only takes a very minute amount of crown for the tappet to spin correctly.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
RTR-1

Post by RTR-1 »

xxdabroxx wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:16 am You can even get a $56.99 made in USA cam to go with 'em! https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/200007/10002/-1
I'm sure it's this Edelbrock Performer RPM cam:
https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-plu ... -7102.html
I always see this SBC grind in all cheap cam listings. Who was the original designer? It's got to be one of the best selling SBC hydraulics ever.
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

RTR-1 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:44 am
I'm sure it's this Edelbrock Performer RPM cam:
https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-plu ... -7102.html
I always see this SBC grind in all cheap cam listings. Who was the original designer? It's got to be one of the best selling SBC hydraulics ever.
My guess would be it came from General Kinetics originally.
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

xxdabroxx wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:21 am That's crazy. I guess there is a market for bottom of the barrel parts but I just can't see spending the time to build an engine and putting complete junk parts in it.
Are you sure the parts id junk? I’m not.

Are the psrts made in Maerica. 99% not true. Machined/ assembeled in the US, most probably.
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
xxdabroxx

Post by xxdabroxx »

Caprimaniac wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:07 am
xxdabroxx wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:21 am That's crazy. I guess there is a market for bottom of the barrel parts but I just can't see spending the time to build an engine and putting complete junk parts in it.
Are you sure the parts id junk? I’m not.

Are the psrts made in Maerica. 99% not true. Machined/ assembeled in the US, most probably.
Are you willing to risk sending camshaft/ lifter chunks throughout your engine to find out? Risk to reward ratio seems skewed to me.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Over that last year or so, I’ve seen pics of some of the ugliest cam & lifter failures I’ve ever seen.
And they occurred, and got that screwed up with very short run time.

Not merely rounded off lobes and cupped lifters, but chunks missing from lobes and the bottoms of lifters.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

People are idiots. All they see is the part and it’s price. If brand X is $50 and Jones is $100, clearly Jones is just ripping off the customer. Jones’s payback is he doesn’t have to deal with cheapskate Charlie, he’s busy enough with a loyal customer base that doesn’t question why he’s more expensive because they don’t have failures.

When the cheaper part fails, brand X doesn’t care, at worst the replacement part cost the company $10, and they don’t have to shell out for the bearings, gaskets, labour, etc.

The idiot gets what he deserves.