Jeg's Hydraulic Lifters USA Made

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

68maliblue
Jeg's Hydraulic Lifters USA Made

Post by 68maliblue »

These seem too good to be true for the price. I'm sure somebody on this site knows their source. I'd like to know more of the details on these.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/20700/10002/-1
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Re: Jeg's Hydraulic Lifters USA Made

Post by rebelyell »

68maliblue wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:30 pm These seem too good to be true for the price. I'm sure somebody on this site knows their source. I'd like to know more of the details on these.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/20700/10002/-1
I see old glory in ad

here's a full set of jegs OE hyd roller lifters w/ the American flag in ad at $140
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/20825/10002/-1

no clue if true or who is American manufacturer?

maybe Mike Jones has the skinny ?
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

rebelyell wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:08 pm
no clue if true or who is American manufacturer?

maybe Mike Jones has the skinny ?
I have no idea.
I don't know how they could be that cheap. That's way less then what I pay for lifters, when I buy then 24 sets at a time.

There is a well known U.S. lifter company that bought a Mexican lifter manufacturer. Maybe' they're playing fast and loose with the "Made in USA" label.
There's also a US lifter company that uses castings from overseas, but does the machining in the US.
My supplier, is the only lifter company I know of, that uses US castings, and does all the machining in the US.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

probably like everything else, actually made in china, final assembly here=made in America. #-o
68maliblue

Post by 68maliblue »

Would it be possible to ID the manufacturer if I bought a single and disassembled the parts. I know there are differences in the metering valves from mfr to mfr?
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

When it comes to lifters, I have decided that I don't believe nobody.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Mark O'Neal wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:34 am When it comes to lifters, I have decided that I don't believe nobody.
I had to learn the hard way. When I was in CA, I was buying all my lifters from Tappet Sales Inc, in Los Angeles.
We never had a problem, then in the 90's when everyone started having lifter issues, we started having them too.
It took a bunch of phone calls, to get my supplier to admit they were buying lifters from multiple manufacturers, and selling them with the same part#'s.
I could order a tray of A-992 lifters, and they could ship me lifters from Johnson, Stanadyne, or Eaton. I had no way of knowing.
When they were all made in the US, I never noticed any difference.
When Stanadyne and Eaton moved production out of the US, that's when everyone in the industry started having issues.
That's why I know buy directly from the manufacturer, because I can't afford to trust another distributor.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
blackford
Pro
Pro

Post by blackford »

Yea, if the crown is not machined properly then the lifters don't spin and you wipe a lobe. Thanks to sub-standard quality from Crapna, you get flat lifters that wipe a lobe in no time. These days, check everything. If you put the lifter on a hard flat surface and it does not rock slightly, it's a Crapna Special! This isn't a perfect method for finding flat lifters with a good crown, but if they are flat then you can rest assured that they are junk and into the round file they go.
65 Mustang FB, 331 custom built with 289 H beam rods and 383W piston, 282S cam, Ported Maxx 180s, T5z, 9" 3.89 gears. ~460HP@6500

2013 Corvette 427 Convertible daily driver
68maliblue

Post by 68maliblue »

Agreed. My biggest problem is I don't have any more Delphi hyd lifters left to do my builds. The last thing I want to do is lose a lobe because of poor part selection.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Take a minute to read recent legislation on what can legally be called made in America, the amount of material, and various parts of it's manufacture that must be done in the USA And the percentage tables they used. They can import the bodies with wheel assembly installed, od ground to size. And install the plunger, spring, snap ring and arguably still call it American made. I suspect as CamKing said "someone playing fast and loose" with the label.

Then again, some small company could be buying rejects from a well known company with tolerance all over the place and reboxing them. Obviously not reworking them to spec or how could they sell so cheap?
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

68maliblue wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:03 pm Agreed. My biggest problem is I don't have any more Delphi hyd lifters left to do my builds. The last thing I want to do is lose a lobe because of poor part selection.
We are having zero issues with our Johnson Hydr flat tappets, but we're running low on them, and won't get next shipment until October.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
blackford
Pro
Pro

Post by blackford »

blackford wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:57 pm Yea, if the crown is not machined properly then the lifters don't spin and you wipe a lobe. Thanks to sub-standard quality from Crapna, you get flat lifters that wipe a lobe in no time. These days, check everything. If you put the lifter on a hard flat surface and it does not rock slightly, it's a Crapna Special! This isn't a perfect method for finding flat lifters with a good crown, but if they are flat then you can rest assured that they are junk and into the round file they go.
Man, I put the word "flat" in there a lot. Probably a bit confusing to some. Meant to say if the flat tappet lifter bottom is completely flat (no crown), then you know right off the bat that they are junk.
65 Mustang FB, 331 custom built with 289 H beam rods and 383W piston, 282S cam, Ported Maxx 180s, T5z, 9" 3.89 gears. ~460HP@6500

2013 Corvette 427 Convertible daily driver
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Perhaps jegs should raise their sets' price $25 or $30 ... then, not a raised eyebrow.
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

blackford wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:23 pm
blackford wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:57 pm Yea, if the crown is not machined properly then the lifters don't spin and you wipe a lobe. Thanks to sub-standard quality from Crapna, you get flat lifters that wipe a lobe in no time. These days, check everything. If you put the lifter on a hard flat surface and it does not rock slightly, it's a Crapna Special! This isn't a perfect method for finding flat lifters with a good crown, but if they are flat then you can rest assured that they are junk and into the round file they go.
Man, I put the word "flat" in there a lot. Probably a bit confusing to some. Meant to say if the flat tappet lifter bottom is completely flat (no crown), then you know right off the bat that they are junk.
How much crown (convex) should be on a lifter to spin properly?
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

The box says Made in USA...that's exactly it, the box is made in the USA.