Fuel pump-fuel system decisions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru
Fuel pump-fuel system decisions

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

I have to make a decision on a fuel system for my build, 69 Nova, carbed, 600hp for now, pump gas. I was planning to keep it simple with a mechanical pump, 1/2" feed line off of a stock tank with a sump added. Looking at the pumps from Clay Smith and Pro-cam but neither are currently available. Looking around some more I see surge tanks, front mounted surge tanks with electric pumps, and some really nice looking in tank electric pumps-lots of options out there! I'd like something dependable and somewhat simple. Talking with Pro-cam they recommended a 5/8 feed line and a return style regulator with their mechanical pump if using pump gas. Clay Smith recommended their low pressure pump with a dead head regulator. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated
https://www.claysmithcams.com/ppf-11-1- ... fuel-pump/
http://www.bakerengineeringinc.com/Part ... -Cam-Parts
Pro question poster.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Re: Fuel pump-fuel system decisions

Post by KnightEngines »

I've been using holley efi pumps & billet bypass reg to drop down to carb pressure for that sort of setup lately.
Works good & not affected by acceleration due to higher line pressure.
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

Xceldyne has both cast and billet pumps in std. and higher pressures.

Tom
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

KnightEngines wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:22 am I've been using holley efi pumps & billet bypass reg to drop down to carb pressure for that sort of setup lately.
What size feed and return lines?
Pro question poster.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Bob Hollinshead wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:38 am
KnightEngines wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:22 am I've been using holley efi pumps & billet bypass reg to drop down to carb pressure for that sort of setup lately.
What size feed and return lines?
Dash 8 pressure line, dash 10 return (lower pressure).
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

I would certainly use a bypass regulator. Electric pump would be my preferred route personally. 600 should be easy to support, I used a magnaflow on my 900 roush Yates motor that was street driven and it kept up fine. The magnaflow wasn’t crazy loud either. I had sumped the stock tank on my fox body for it. -12 tank to pump and -10 from pump to front -8 back to tank. It had a single dominator carb.
54chevkiwi
Pro
Pro

Post by 54chevkiwi »

Robbmc mechanical pump, american made, if his 550hp capable unit isnt enough he redoes it to the 1000hp unit for half the cost of a new one..

One stop fuel system shop.

https://www.robbmcperformance.com/
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

54chevkiwi wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:11 pm Robbmc mechanical pump, american made, if his 550hp capable unit isnt enough he redoes it to the 1000hp unit for half the cost of a new one..

His surge tank systems look like an easy route too.
Pro question poster.
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

Had never heard of those guys but they have nice looking stuff and it’s reasonable price wise.
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

An EFI pump, regulated at the carb, could probably get by with a 1/8ID pipe :wink:
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

54chevkiwi wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:11 pm Robbmc mechanical pump, american made, if his 550hp capable unit isnt enough he redoes it to the 1000hp unit for half the cost of a new one..

I checked out that site years ago, their mech pump looked good but I didn't need that much pump. Also rem looking at their surge tanks, can't rem why I didn't wanna go with one, think they may have been higher priced or it wasn't clear if they'd work with a carb back when I was looking into one. But the prices seem fair on the surge tanks, might give one a try on my 77 vette should be making a bit more this time around and idk if the current setup will work.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

I've been leaning towards getting a surge tank and feeding it with a basic mechanical pump. Put a sump in the stock tank and a return line. Easy install, easy access to the electric fuel pump. It would feed all the power I'll ever make. And I think with a couple of manual valves and a little extra plumbing I could run just off the mechanical on the street and use the surge tank setup only when needed. Am I outa my mind? LOL
Pro question poster.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Bob Hollinshead wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:42 am I've been leaning towards getting a surge tank and feeding it with a basic mechanical pump. Put a sump in the stock tank and a return line. Easy install, easy access to the electric fuel pump. It would feed all the power I'll ever make. And I think with a couple of manual valves and a little extra plumbing I could run just off the mechanical on the street and use the surge tank setup only when needed. Am I outa my mind? LOL
Bob,
on my street/strip deal-
-10 from rear fuel cell (15 gal )
to a 200gph Holley mechanical fuel pump with composite pushrod
-8 to fuel log on carb
Holley bypass reg on firewall and -8 back to tank
my sbc stuff is around 500 ish and have turned 7500-7600 rpm
lots of street miles and hundreds of passes over 7 years.
no hot fuel issues,i run a auto meter fuel pressure gauge in car and never seen a problem
i am in process of building a new short block to be dynoed hopefully 550 plus and will be using same setup.
the holley pump is expensive but i think it is a nice piece,cost me double in Australia to what USA pays :shock:
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
70GS455

Post by 70GS455 »

Here is a video of a test on the dyno of my motor with the Robbmc 550 pump. Never dropped below 6 psi feeding a 800 Qjet making 586 hp

https://youtu.be/nw-_zqkjL6Y
Scott
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Twin Carter P4070 72 gph ff electrics Twin 3/8" tank pick ups. twin ⅜" fuel lines. 2 common in line paper element fuel filters. No regulator needed.
More than enough supply volume and delivery capability under drag car acceleration forces.