Burning Oil w/New Motor - Can't Diagnose

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

btwick

Re: Burning Oil w/New Motor - Can't Diagnose

Post by btwick »

BCjohnny wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:32 am If the same 'horrible shop' that couldn't even successfully complete a simple task such as that, and assuming they did the machine work, what faith do you have in them accomplishing a much more challenging task such as getting the bore finish right ?
Thought that might be confusing. The first shop that did the short block assembly is the bad one. A second shop inspected the heads, and advised more time to let the rings seat.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

btwick wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:49 am Running 2x zinc non-synth break-in oil, and break in procedure was routine. Roller cam, so did not run 20 mins at 2K RPM.
Define your routine break in procedure

What type of oil, I meant the weight?

What type of valve seals, teflon, metal clad viton or all viton type? Were the seals installed before valves or the valves removed after and then reinstalled?
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

As advised, do the decel test ...... again, safely ...... and report back

If nothing else it should help point you in the right direction
btwick

Post by btwick »

BOOT wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:50 am
btwick wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:49 am Running 2x zinc non-synth break-in oil, and break in procedure was routine. Roller cam, so did not run 20 mins at 2K RPM.
Define your routine break in procedure

What type of oil, I meant the weight?

What type of valve seals, teflon, metal clad viton or all viton type? Were the seals installed before valves or the valves removed after and then reinstalled?
Got it..
Oil weight is 10-30 brand is Maxima. BTW.. first oil was pretty dark after just the first 100 miles...

Break in. Jeez, not to start another tangent, but opinions are all over the place. Procedure ended up a bit of no load fiddling with the carb, but then light driving, never maintaining periods of static revs, and not much into the secondaries due to breaking in a new rear pumpkin and gear.

Guides are factory installed mang/bronze. Seals were replaced with the heavier springs before initial startup, and are Viton VS 305. The valves were removed and reinstalled after seals were "locked" in..
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Are you sure the intake doesn't allow oil into the runners?
Found it on my engine with a smoke test. And then I also had an issue with too much oil in the pan.
Just giving you some things to check.

If the guides would be galled I would expect you to see the smoke appear on the rocker side of the head if you fill the intakes with smoke. You could take off the rockers in order to get the valves closed.
btwick

Post by btwick »

Belgian1979 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:19 pm Are you sure the intake doesn't allow oil into the runners?
Found it on my engine with a smoke test. And then I also had an issue with too much oil in the pan.
Just giving you some things to check.

If the guides would be galled I would expect you to see the smoke appear on the rocker side of the head if you fill the intakes with smoke. You could take off the rockers in order to get the valves closed.
Thanks Belgian. Am at a bit of a standstill on the smoking due to the top-end oiling issue--so no decel test until that is resolved first.

But, found how to make a simple smoke machine and will try it. May show something about the intake or guides, or other aspects of a very vacuum- intensive system (C3 Corvette). Thanks for the tip.