LS 3 liner OD gaps

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru
LS 3 liner OD gaps

Post by Dan Timberlake »

A bud just bought a used stroked LS3 short block pig-in-a-poke for a real good price. .010" over I think.
Most of it looks real good, but a local shop commented on a gap visible on the deck around all 8 liners. That shop claimed the gaps are a sign the OEM liners have shifted or even dropped. Refer to attached images.

I have not tried to qualify the gap widths and depths with feeler gages or fine wire yet.
Nor have we checked the liners for being flush, low, or protruding with a straight edge and feeler gages.

I'm thinking the odds of all 8 liners shifting is kind of slim.

What do LS users and machinists have to say?

thanks,

Dan T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: LS 3 liner OD gaps

Post by ProPower engines »

If the sleeves are below the block surface its a good chance they have moved down.
Check the bottom of the block and see if the step has been damaged to allow the sleeves to fall.
If the step is still there then deck the block again and carry on.

Some times it happens and in a stock situation goes un-noticed for 1000's of miles.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
ebert

Post by ebert »

ls3 sleeves can't drop. they are cast into the block and have ridges on them that looks like ruffles potato chips. i just installed 3 sleeves in two different blocks last week.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

I am not there to look at it in person but I simply do not see anything that I would be concerned with ?? I have seem plenty of aluminum import blocks with cast iron liners and there is always some type of line at the edge of the liner. I would probably consider it normal with an aluminum block ? I might be totally off but that is my opinion.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

The sleeves have very distinct ridges on the od and cannot drop. They can, however, pull away from the aluminum block and crack on higher hp applications. Melling sells a nice flanged sleeve for these blocks.
Carlquist Competition Engines
55chev

Post by 55chev »

deck it ,will be fine.
agertz1

Post by agertz1 »

Pressure tested the block :?:
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

Dan Timberlake wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:40 pm A bud just bought a used stroked LS3 short block pig-in-a-poke for a real good price. .010" over I think.
Most of it looks real good, but a local shop commented on a gap visible on the deck around all 8 liners. That shop claimed the gaps are a sign the OEM liners have shifted or even dropped. Refer to attached images.

I have not tried to qualify the gap widths and depths with feeler gages or fine wire yet.
Nor have we checked the liners for being flush, low, or protruding with a straight edge and feeler gages.

I'm thinking the odds of all 8 liners shifting is kind of slim.

What do LS users and machinists have to say?

thanks,

Dan T
That looks normal for a LS3 block.
ec1

Post by ec1 »

I see this a lot on factory ls blocks. I think even new or near new blocks too. Never been a problem. I believe it's just part of the manufacturing process where the aluminum shrinks away from the sleeve slightly in spots. But yes they aren't going anywhere the cast iron sleeve is ribbed all around.