2004 chrysler 2.7 "sludging"

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru
2004 chrysler 2.7 "sludging"

Post by Dan Timberlake »

We are going to buy a real nice 68,000 mile Chrysler Sebring convertible for too much money. 2.7 V-6 which is the notorious sludging engine.

The engine oil looks well used, like nobody was trying to hide anything.
A peek under the oil filler looks real good.

One of the sludging rumors is the 2.7 water pump lives behind the timing chain cover and can leak antifreeze into the sump.
Another is the PCV system is not up to the task for 5000 mile oil changes.

We'll be changing all the fluids and running full synthetic with short changes for a while to clean things up just in case.
Supposedly it is pretty easy to remove the oil pan to check things out.

What have y'all got to report ?
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Re: 2004 chrysler 2.7 "sludging"

Post by Krooser »

IIRC that 2.7 has a restriction in the oiling system that, when plugged, tends to starve the engine of oil and it grenades.

Seems my friend who worked at the Jeep/Dodge shop told me that a few years after they came on the market.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
V12MECH

Post by V12MECH »

Does the seller have oil change records? When a customer comes to our shop with one of these for a pre- purchase inspection , we make sure they understand the potential problems, and recommend they pick something else.
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

Have seen them fail at super low miles, on the other hand my neighbor at the shop has a stratus with over 300k has never even had a water pump changed. We recently did valve cover gaskets and it was spotless inside. I told him he must’ve gotten the best 2.7 ever produced. His sister bought it new and she fanatical about service, he then got it about 8 years ago and stays on top of oil changes as well. They’re kinda a toss up, I typically discourage people from buying one though because I’ve seen far more bad than good.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I mis-spoke in my earlier post. It is the 3.7 that has a 90 degree turn in an oil gallery that causes a restriction when sludge forms.

I bought a Chrysler Concorde with a 2.7 back around 2016. Got a super price ($700.00) from a wholesaler because the water pump's external weep hole had a slight drip.

I replaced the internal water pump and the timing set. That engine was spotless inside, too.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

If you don't use the right oil, and keep it changed yes the 2.7 will sludge and self destruct. Use only oil that meets Chrysler MS-6395 standard. You might be surprised that many of the popular name brand oils do not meet this standard.

http://www.kmn-lubricants.com/wp-conten ... -03-13.pdf