Fogging oil or??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Fogging oil or??

Post by Bill Chase »

Have a good engine that's got some miles on it I need to put into long term storage. Here in Michigan it gets very humid 6 months out of the year.

Considered pulling all the plugs and spraying fogging oil down the throttle body as it's cranked until it starts puffing out of the exhaust ports and plug holes then putting plugs back in and simply taping shut the exhaust ports and throttle body. May end up sitting for a few years. Any brand you guys can recommend, or tips on dealing it up ?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Fogging oil or??

Post by mag2555 »

I have always highly questioned doing this since when you restart the motor all that extra oil in the top compression ring grooves will turn to carbon in short order and then ware and worse yet hang up and stop the rings from spinning and then take out the cylinder walls in time .

I would sooner fog with WD-40 until the motor stalls out and then back off on all the valve adjustments so there closed.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

I fog my 665" engine every winter. Never an issue on start up, and having clean bores when the next season starts is not a bad thing. No reason whatsoever to back off the valves though, unless you're only doing it to seal up the cylinders. Contrary to the internet bs, it will NOT affect the valve springs to leave them in a compressed state since it's static.....and no heat...won't affect them at all. But not a bad practice to keep crap out of your engine....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Never use WD40 as a storage spray.. The machined surfaces will rust in a week or so.
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Post by nhrastocker »

Do not use WD-40.

Either use Amsoil fogger oil, Cimguard-10 or Yamaha Stor-Rite Fogger.
They will not hurt the O2 sensors either.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

nhrastocker wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:52 pm Do not use WD-40.

Either use Amsoil fogger oil, Cimguard-10 or Yamaha Stor-Rite Fogger.
They will not hurt the O2 sensors either.
Have always used yamaha or mercruiser products for seasonal storage of marine engines, but the most they sit is 6 months. curious how they would hold up in something that sits for 2-3 years.

planned on backing all the rocker arms off so the valves close once its fogged down. its just a 350 tpi engine out of a corvette, but is in excellent condition, and would like to store it in a way that allows it to be put back into service very quickly without any concerns except for the potential dry rot of gaskets. engine still has the original gm steel shim gaskets. somehow it made it from 1991 to 2020 without having the intake or heads pulled if you can believe that lol.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

My stating of closing off the valves was not for saving the springs , but to keep the valve seats from pitting if it’s a iron head and also to stop the evaporation of the WD-40.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Post by nhrastocker »

mag2555 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:18 pm My stating of closing off the valves was not for saving the springs , but to keep the valve seats from pitting if it’s a iron head and also to stop the evaporation of the WD-40.
WD-40 is a water dispersant and was not designed for long term corrosion protection.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Bill Chase wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:14 pm
its just a 350 tpi engine out of a corvette

still has the original gm steel shim gaskets. somehow it made it from 1991 to 2020 without having the intake or heads pulled if you can believe that lol.
Think they had composite gaskets because of alum heads, pretty sure I read that a few times on the Corvette board because some posted the part number and I got some for another engine. Never pulled my 86 heads so not 100% sure.

I think fogging the 350 would be good insurance and you can always crank it over w/o the plugs to blow some out before you fire it. Wish I did on the vortec crate I bought but honestly think they used some crappy oil. Plan to tear it apart anyway now that I found other issues, so it'll get a light hone then.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Forget the WD40. You might as well throw your motor out in the rain.
tuffxf
Pro
Pro

Post by tuffxf »

I use and like the yamalube stor rite product
Cheers
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

A good range of dedicated storage sprays listed already. Another to add to the list is ACF50.

The trick with all of these though is doubling the dose is not double the protection, a little goes a long way. As Mag had pointed out and the same applies to treatments that are dedicated for storage, flood the thing and you will load the rings regardless of what is used.

Two strokes might be different [not my area] as the rings do get vented in their cycle, so drainage in this area should not be an issue if flooded.

Cheers.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

mag2555 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:18 pm My stating of closing off the valves was not for saving the springs , but to keep the valve seats from pitting if it’s a iron head and also to stop the evaporation of the WD-40.
Understood. I made the mistake of not backing off the rockers when I let an engine sit for an extended period (about a year) and found the open valves' seats had rusted because the engine hadn't been sealed off from the ambient temperature and humidity.

Maybe it would have been OK to simply fire it up as it was and let the valves & seats hammer off the corrosion when running, but it looked bad so I pulled the heads off to be touched up.