Opinion on X pipe design

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

eric8

Opinion on X pipe design

Post by eric8 »

So this is what my muffler shop installed when I told them I wanted an X pipe for my mild 400hp 383. This is 2.25” pipe. I’ve had a rich WOT condition that no amount of jetting or carb swapping has been able to tune out and this is one of the last things I’m thinking could be a culprit.

Most X pipes I have seen are a Siamesed design where 2 pipes merge together. This design on mine appears quite restrictive and the more I look at it, both pipes are having to neck down to one small section of 2.25” tubing. I have been told that a restrictive exhaust can cause a misfire and make a wideband O2 read rich. Thoughts on this particular X pipe being restrictive enough to cause this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EDC
Expert
Expert

Re: Opinion on X pipe design

Post by EDC »

HARM Mufflers and exhaust.

Best system we have even used.
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Misfire produces a false-lean indication on an O2 sensor.

The oxygen doesn't combine with the fuel, so there's a heap of free O2 in the exhaust stream, which drives the O2 sensor to report a lean condition.

That's a mess of an "X-pipe", but "restrictive = misfire = rich" is not what's happening.
cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors »

eric8 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:41 pm So this is what my muffler shop installed when I told them I wanted an X pipe for my mild 400hp 383. This is 2.25” pipe. I’ve had a rich WOT condition that no amount of jetting or carb swapping has been able to tune out and this is one of the last things I’m thinking could be a culprit.

Most X pipes I have seen are a Siamesed design where 2 pipes merge together. This design on mine appears quite restrictive and the more I look at it, both pipes are having to neck down to one small section of 2.25” tubing. I have been told that a restrictive exhaust can cause a misfire and make a wideband O2 read rich. Thoughts on this particular X pipe being restrictive enough to cause this?
Suggest you find someone who takes pride in the work they do, as that is not cutting it.
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills since 2008
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

ive seen worse junk cobbled up as exhaust, but id still not be too happy with that.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

Looks like you took it to a plumbing shop not a exhaust shop....... #-o
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

eric8 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:41 pm So this is what my muffler shop installed when I told them I wanted an X pipe for my mild 400hp 383. This is 2.25” pipe. I’ve had a rich WOT condition that no amount of jetting or carb swapping has been able to tune out and this is one of the last things I’m thinking could be a culprit.

i think it could be your issue in my opinion.
where it is joined at the X could be full of slag for all we know,only one way to find out.
i can see the restriction causing more back pressure leading to combustion contamination etc,i would cut the system off and start again.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Khaos motorsports out of Grand Rapids Michigan makes a nice stainless 2.5" and 3" x pipe for a very good price. Quality matches x pipes costing twice as much.

No affiliation with them, just blown away at the quality and price, great customer service and a real American shop ran by a couple gear heads. Check them out.
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

OP, any chance you can expand on the comment: "rich WOT condition that no amount of jetting....."

What parts of the carb did you play with?
eric8

Post by eric8 »

Thanks for all the responses. I was confused about what I had said earlier. A clogged exhaust or high back pressure can cause a wide band to read rich. But Shurkey is correct in that a misfire will cause a lean indication.

So far I’ve gone through a brand new Quick Fuel 750 SS that came stock with 72/80 jetting and went all the way down to 64/68 jetting and it still ran pig rich at WOT. Same behavior with a brand new AVS2 edelbrock 800. Even after going down 2 stages lean on the primary metering rods and 2 stages lean on the secondary jets.

I’ve come to the conclusion that my issue HAS to be this x pipe or either the position of my o2 sensor is causing it to read faulty under wide open throttle. I have the AEM wideband that says to install 18” from the head. I didn’t follow this and put the o2 in the factory bung in the manifolds I had to use which is closer than 18” to the head.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eric8

Post by eric8 »

Well update. I’m here at a [different] muffler shop now. They cut off the x pipe and sure enough, there was slag all in the crossover and it probably necked down to a 1-1/2 diameter hole. They are welding in a magnaflow x pipe as well as moving my o2 sensor further back to around 24” from the head. Fingers crossed.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

thats a pretty big pile of steamy crap. #-o
EXCELLENCE AUTO

Post by EXCELLENCE AUTO »

Plumbers (on) Crack!
motormonkey

Post by motormonkey »

Oh dang, that's horrible. Somebody took the x pipe design to literal and gave you single exhaust.
Nice to hear it's fixed.
eric8

Post by eric8 »

Well it does seem peppier now (shocker). But my old problem of pig rich mixtures at wide open throttle still remains. I think I may try a new AVS2 650 cfm Edelbrock and see how it responds. The 750 QF and an 800 Edelbrock seem just like they are too much, regardless of jetting changes.