Crankshaft?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

88bluestar
Pro
Pro
Crankshaft?

Post by 88bluestar »

First off, let me explain the engine demands. Hobby stock engine, and to some degree budget minded.
3/8 mile dirt track with wide turns so likely not as much hard braking so rpms will only have a slight drop and then right back in the gas.
8.5" tread width American racer kk704 can be used but 2,950 minimum, though if normal passenger tires are used there is no weight minimum.
Max rpms 6500-6700 roughly.
10:1 compression-360 max using a 2bbl rochester, exhaust manifolds required-using LT1 Camaro manifolds likely. Using E-85 fuel.

Looking at cost and strength for cast crank either oem or scat/eagle/etc replacement type cranks.

For this application would a cast hold up for say 15-20 race nights?
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Re: Crankshaft?

Post by Mark O'Neal »

How the cast crank holds up depends on the abuse it sees.

The Scat Excalibur Lightweight is right up your alley.

They're looking at a 10 to 15% price increase, so don't delay.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

If the tune is right, the cast crank should survive.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

And the cast crank is light. Match it with a 520ish gram rods and a sub 400 gram piston
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

blue,
A bunch of years ago I did a Hobby Stock type engine for a customer that raced mostly at Potomac Speedway here in Southern Maryland. Sounds like a very similar track as what you are on. Engine was almost identical to what you are working with. They ran the car for 3 seasons before we even freshened it up and then another couple of years at least. Never had a lick of problem with the stock cast crank or the stock GM rods with ARP bolts.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Hobby Stock?

Way back when, we helped out a guy on a really tight budget. He couldn't afford much more than tires, so building any kind of race engine was out of the question. We had a running but high mile core engine from the dealership that we gave him. Told him to buy a set of rod bolts (little did we know he would just take off the pan and change the bolts one at a time). He slipped in a cam, lifters and a circle track pan. IIRC, it was a top 10 car on the local half mile paved oval track and he only came back when he wanted us to do a valve job. Stock lower end everything, although this engine had the powdered metal rods.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

I’ve seen a handful of 2 piece Scat cast replacement and 9000 series cranks that were in dirt track applications. (Broken)

I would have a factory cast crank in that application if budget restricted, if you’re planning multiple seasons I feel a budget forged steel crank is a worthy investment.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

My buddies ran those GM cast cranks in dirt late models for two seasons before switching them out.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

If you get a factory cast crank and take the 2.5 hours of time to grind & polish off all the casting seems and sharp edges and balance it to 1” instead of the common 3” spec it may never fail if the rev’s don’t top 7500 and your making less then 550 hp.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!