Blow thru vs Holley EFI

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

c1500sbc
Pro
Pro

Blow thru vs Holley EFI

Post by c1500sbc »

Future plans have me putting a turbo set up on a 383 I have. With they help of y’all and about 3 books I’ve become fairly good at tuning a carburetor. Actually got a other book on the way.

I’ve just found a great deal on a Holley EFI set up. Used but in good working condition. Whole kit plus the hyper spark system, wires and air cleaner for $900 bucks.

For those of you who have tuned a blow thru, how hard was it to keep dialed in?

Anyone running a Holley sniper EFI with a turbo set up?

Opinions?
Racer71
Pro
Pro
Re: Blow thru vs Holley EFI

Post by Racer71 »

Have no experience with blow thru but the Holley stuff is nice and pretty easy to tune, for the money if it’s not an outdated setup it would be hard to pass up
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Go injected.

I have only done a few 5 or less carbureted setups. CSU in my experience is the best carb for blow through.

You really can't tune per cylinder with a blow through..

Its not that you can't go fast with a blow through. I just am partial to being able to tune injector timing, spark timing etc per cylinder. You don't really have to compromise.
c1500sbc
Pro
Pro

Post by c1500sbc »

mt-engines wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:20 pm Go injected.

I have only done a few 5 or less carbureted setups. CSU in my experience is the best carb for blow through.

You really can't tune per cylinder with a blow through..

Its not that you can't go fast with a blow through. I just am partial to being able to tune injector timing, spark timing etc per cylinder. You don't really have to compromise.
I don’t think the Holley sniper EFI system has the ability to tune injector timing or tune per cylinder, right?
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

The sniper is not multiport or sequential. But it is still better than a carb in my opinion, more user friendly also.

For 900 bucks he would be better of running the sniper vs several thousand on a decent carb. Or the dyno time, track time, road time to get cruise and power enrichment jiving with the carb also.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

The one thing for certain is Holley will obsolete whatever he's got, have no parts, have no tech line help; we've got something newer, better, just buy that. BTDT
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

It seems to me a question of how good the intake is. A properly done intake like a few here can do probably makes blow through much more of a breeze. Yeah, I make myself chuckle. Great Plenum with great distribution. But the intake costs money. Who is quicker and faster. Or is it just another tool at a cruise in or car show that wants a dyno number and will never bolt a slick to their car??? They are not my guys.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

c1500sbc wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:04 pm Future plans have me putting a turbo set up on a 383 I have. With they help of y’all and about 3 books I’ve become fairly good at tuning a carburetor. Actually got a other book on the way.

I’ve just found a great deal on a Holley EFI set up. Used but in good working condition. Whole kit plus the hyper spark system, wires and air cleaner for $900 bucks.

For those of you who have tuned a blow thru, how hard was it to keep dialed in?

Anyone running a Holley sniper EFI with a turbo set up?

Opinions?
Better be the Super Sniper, the regular Sniper only has a 1 bar map sensor so you have no way of properly enriching with boost.
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

I agree, unless it has a bar map above 1 (ATM, 29.92" Hg) it can't sense increased density.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

If you pay much attention to the street racing crowd, ethanol or methanol boosted lots of guys making great power on blow through carbs, those same guys also go on to say mpfi setup would simplify their car by getting rid of the boost control box, external ignition box, blah blah. For a street car if drivability is a concern at all seems like mpfi would be the way to go. 900 for a used sniper? , You can get a terminator x mpfi universal system new for around 1100.