maxwedge heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

redgoldstein
maxwedge heads

Post by redgoldstein »

what is the best valve job angles for a mopar max wedge head 2.080 int 1.88 eahaust valve 500 lift cam stock elm engine is there power in off set piston pin engine came from the factory with off set i guess stoped engine noise i was told thanks
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: maxwedge heads

Post by mag2555 »

Some questions need to be asked here first!

Are the heads stock, or has one of those clear plastic Mopar performance porting temple kits been used on them?

I find these kits and the inexperienced people that use them remove too much of the bottom cut and then you have no choice but to go up to the 2.14” valve to get things close to being back in the needed shape.

Are you going up to a 1.81” exh valve, or the 1.88” as you posted.

I don’t recall if there’s room for a 1.88” even if using the stock 2.08” Intake valve.

If you are going up to a 1.88” valve then your going to need to have someone who knows what there doing port the exh side otherwise there will be no benefit to going larger then 1.81” in valve size.

Also note that Intake valve job wise that what might produce the highest flow numbers as seen during a flow test may not produce the highest HP numbers!

In other words a full radius valve job and the the flow numbers they can produce may not make the greatest power per CFM.

In many cases it’s the highest average numbers in the cam lift range your working with that makes the best power, not to mention how wet flow/ combustion efficiency is effected by the intake valve angles and widths used.

Lastly, since you have rare heads if you max out the OD of the valve job to get the largest curtain area you may not be able down the road to get freshen up valve job into the head without having seats installed and they will always cut into the flow numbers you may have had without porting work being done.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

I agree with mag2555, going to the bigger exhaust valve usually does not improve performance. either with the stock older max wedge head or the newer mopar performance reproduction head.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

500 lift cam stock elm engine
I agree with mag2555, going to the bigger exhaust valve usually does not improve performance. either with the stock older max wedge head or the newer mopar performance reproduction head.
The factory valve sizes are 2.08/1.88, and must remain as such when running in NHRA Stock.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
redgoldstein

Post by redgoldstein »

heads come with 1.88 ex valve what about valve angles for best power no porting soombody has done heads like this by the way they are brand new thanks for the help
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

That’s a reasonably rare head you might struggle finding someone here that’s actually experimented with them and is willing to share. If the heads are already done, the seats are cut, so recutting the seats to a different angle further sinks the valves, presumably ruining what you hope to gain. Sunk valves are also a pain in the butt with shaft rockers.

I’ve done exactly 1 set of those heads in my nearly 30 year career, and it was largely a salvage operation due to the sunk exhaust seats and several rebuilds prior, and not wanting to risk putting seats in such a rare casting.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

I race NSS, and have worked on several sets of original max wedge heads. and for my own race engine years ago purchased when they were available a set of the mopar performance reproduction max wedge heads. Ran these on a 496 and then a 512 wedge with a 1964 cross ram. I had a stock racer give me a set of cracked heads that had been acid ported, so I could flow them on my bench. As I remember the acid ported heads were about 50 cfm better than the reproduction max wedge heads. Never got the reproduction heads to flow as good as the original acid ported ones. 3,300 lbs car got it to run real low 10's with the reproduction heads. Never messed with changing the valve angles, as the max wedge manifold did not lend itself to a high reving engine. Most of what I did was working with the short side radius and de-shrouding the valves in the chamber. as I remember slightly lowering the floor of the intake port seemed to help a lot. I think the cross ram kind of acted like a governor, the engine no matter what you did to it just would not pull hard on the big end. Changed the manifold and it picked up 3 tenths. I got a couple buddies that still run the max wedge cross ram and they run low 10's and are kind of stuck their as well. I know one guy that got his NSS car with a max wedge cross ram into the high 9's and he spent a ton of time and money on different torque convertors.
redgoldstein

Post by redgoldstein »

are there any valve angles that help the head a small blk chev is a wedge head what would on that for angles thanks some one told me to lap the valves and put on the car he felt not much you can do short side rad suck not enuff lol at myself thanks