Changed gears poor track results

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1980RS
Guru
Guru
Changed gears poor track results

Post by 1980RS »

I had to change out my 4.10's as I broke some parts with the car last outing. Now most of this year and years past with the 8" TCI converter the car hit the stripe at like 61-6200 so I thought the 4.88's would be like 6800, nope the car now goes through at 7400 all else the same, but I changed exhaust form the rear axle system to my Walker Bullets which I have always used like forever. I was mighty surprised by this result. I lost MPH as a result of this even spinning the engine a lot tighter. I did have some problems earlier in the day but it turned out to be a bad set of spark plugs brand new same as the old ones. Put them back in and the 406 would spin to the moon. Is the stator going bad in the converter?
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Re: Changed gears poor track results

Post by steve cowan »

Does it feel like converter slip?
Did you keep shift points the same?
Maybe MPH down cause it's out of breath,was there incremental changes on entire pass going to lower gear ?
It probably at 6200 rpm now at 800ft
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
Monza355
Expert
Expert

Post by Monza355 »

Did you take notice of the shift drop between gears during these runs ?
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Wondering if your 406 is out of breath? Although it's spinning 7400, it's maybe not making any power there?

If the shift points are the same check out the increamental times, if slower than before could be a converter or some other issue.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The simple math shows the rpm in the traps whill change from 6200 rpm (4.10). to now 7400 rpm (4.88).
Whats to problem? Hydraulic lifters....
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

The difference between a 4.10 and a 4.88 is 19%.

6200 x 1.19 = 7378
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

SupStk wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:48 am Wondering if your 406 is out of breath? Although it's spinning 7400, it's maybe not making any power there?

If the shift points are the same check out the increamental times, if slower than before could be a converter or some other issue.
I think it is the converter as the shift recovery is pretty poor, less than 600 RPM on some runs. Will need to look in that for sure. Just watched the in car vids and after figuring out the duck shooting contest I was on the last two runs were wheels up and it was pulling very well but I am puzzled by this not making as much MPH or ET. Maybe the air was that bad, I didn't have time to check yesterday.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Whats it doing in the 1/8th and 1000 ft from time slips?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

With the gear change the 8" torque converter should show increased efficiency "lockup". Unless it is broken (stator).

Could be valvetrain. Probabily still an ignition issue.

First places to look.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I have a similar experience, I didn't see the improvement I expected. I shift/go through the lights at about 6300. I made a 10 percent gear change and gained about a half tenth et. I don't remember mph. The car launched much cleaner, but it spent the last 1/8 in high gear winding to 6900 through the lights. My suspicion is that although winding easily to the higher rpm, there wasn't enough power above 6300 to take advantage of the lower gear. The restriction could be cam, carb, header, size or all of them. Big inch motors consume a lot of air.
So much to do, so little time...
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

rfoll wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:33 pm I have a similar experience, I didn't see the improvement I expected. I shift/go through the lights at about 6300. I made a 10 percent gear change and gained about a half tenth et. I don't remember mph. The car launched much cleaner, but it spent the last 1/8 in high gear winding to 6900 through the lights. My suspicion is that although winding easily to the higher rpm, there wasn't enough power above 6300 to take advantage of the lower gear. The restriction could be cam, carb, header, size or all of them. Big inch motors consume a lot of air.
That was my thinking with putting on my Super Victor II intake but I didn't have enough time to change it out to test along with one of my other Dominators. Guess I will have to wait until next year got a ton of other stuff to do before winter.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

1980RS , you stated in your last post on another thread that you thought the rear diff. went bad . crossed the line at 7100 rpm not your usual 6200-6300 or so . What did the diff. look like when you changed gears ? Maybe the convertors give up the ghost . Only way to tell is try a known good convertor or have that one checked .
I know when I went from 4.56's to 5.13's my 1/8 mile rpm only changed a couple hundred rpms but the calculated slippage at the line went from 20% down to between 10-11% going to try 5.38"s next years to get it under 10% hopefully closer to 7% or under . Coan 8" 5600 -5700 stall with my 422
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

1980RS wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:47 pm
rfoll wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:33 pm I have a similar experience, I didn't see the improvement I expected. I shift/go through the lights at about 6300. I made a 10 percent gear change and gained about a half tenth et. I don't remember mph. The car launched much cleaner, but it spent the last 1/8 in high gear winding to 6900 through the lights. My suspicion is that although winding easily to the higher rpm, there wasn't enough power above 6300 to take advantage of the lower gear. The restriction could be cam, carb, header, size or all of them. Big inch motors consume a lot of air.
That was my thinking with putting on my Super Victor II intake but I didn't have enough time to change it out to test along with one of my other Dominators. Guess I will have to wait until next year got a ton of other stuff to do before winter.
Maybe stator gone maybe not,
It's a bugger when plans don't come together properly,sounds like a few issue's on the day.
I apologise as I can't remember what heads/ induction you have on 406 at the moment as we have been talking about vortecs, SP2 etc lately.
This is my opinion on what I would do next-
Do another 4.1 rear gear and retest at the track first and see if you are back where you were prior to lower rear gear.
If it repeats previous performance I would do some calculations on Mach index and induction tract sizing as it's possible the engine won't respond to more rpm due to head/ intake / cam size.
Just a thought :)
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

steve cowan wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:05 pm
1980RS wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:47 pm
Maybe stator gone maybe not,
It's a bugger when plans don't come together properly,sounds like a few issue's on the day.
I apologise as I can't remember what heads/ induction you have on 406 at the moment as we have been talking about vortecs, SP2 etc lately.
This is my opinion on what I would do next-
Do another 4.1 rear gear and retest at the track first and see if you are back where you were prior to lower rear gear.
If it repeats previous performance I would do some calculations on Mach index and induction tract sizing as it's possible the engine won't respond to more rpm due to head/ intake / cam size.
Just a thought :)
The 406 has Dart ported 215's on there now. If I go back to a 4.10 gear it will have to wait for next year as then I will put a 9" in the car for reliability and cost of building an new rear axle assy. Plan is to go with my P/G and a known good A1 converter I have, boaring ride but it should get the job done.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

6.50camaro wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:52 pm 1980RS , you stated in your last post on another thread that you thought the rear diff. went bad . crossed the line at 7100 rpm not your usual 6200-6300 or so . What did the diff. look like when you changed gears ? Maybe the convertors give up the ghost . Only way to tell is try a known good convertor or have that one checked .
I know when I went from 4.56's to 5.13's my 1/8 mile rpm only changed a couple hundred rpms but the calculated slippage at the line went from 20% down to between 10-11% going to try 5.38"s next years to get it under 10% hopefully closer to 7% or under . Coan 8" 5600 -5700 stall with my 422
The only thing busted were the spider gears but a piece did hit one tooth so rather than take a chance of tossing in parts and have that gear fail I opted for the 4.88's. One thing I noticed with this 406 combo is it get up on the tire real quick and I can cut a great light with them, had a 000 dirty red too boot. I watched all the in car video and the converter flashed to 5200 then I take it up to 6900 or a little higher on the shifts and the last 2 passes looked pretty good. The launch problem I was having is much better since I messed with the shock somewhat, maybe in the future I will swap out that intake and try my 1050 Dommy on it, the one I brought was not right for this engine.