X pipes???

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BTZ201

X pipes???

Post by BTZ201 »

Ok guys, I plan to fab a new 3" exhaust on my 75 gmc truck.
Motor for now is 350 with older nicely ported 034 bowtie heads, and a elgin 1090p elgin solid flat tappet cam. Just some old parts thrown together before the sbc 400 build.
This winter I plan to fab a new 3" exhaust with magnaflow type mufflers.
Planning to run an X pipe, are the stamped steel ebay type X pipes good or should I use another brand?
Or no X pipe?
Or should I run a H pipe?
Or none of these, just straight dual exhaust?
Sb 400 will be a little while from now, but thinking ahead...
I welcome any thoughts on this!!!
Thanks,
Brent
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: X pipes???

Post by mag2555 »

A X pipe is the best and since your dealing with a truck you should have no issue getting one into the exh system unlike some cars where the sub performing H pipe is the only way to go!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
BTZ201

Post by BTZ201 »

Thanks Mag2555
Any thoughts on style of X pipe, have been looking at the stamped steel type?
Look like a little more volume then the other style?
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I have run the X pipe on my car with the 406 and have had great results using the 3" setup and 2 of the smaller case Flowmasters. Car has run low 10.90's@123.5 and with the other milder 406 ran 11.06@118mph.
Moparboy440

Post by Moparboy440 »

X-pipes does nothing to improve the flow of an exhaust. However they can reduce exhaust sound and drone.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5s8nr8
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

x or h, but buy a quality piece, not some ebay junk.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Moparboy440 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:07 pm X-pipes does nothing to improve the flow of an exhaust. However they can reduce exhaust sound and drone.
Weird.
The video seems to show an h better than none. And an x slightly better
dondon

Post by dondon »

didn't big joe say that there were only helpful on grossly unpowered engines and he had 289 ford in parentheses.
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

You can get HORRENDOUS results with a bad x-pipe. Some muffler shops (and individuals) will simply cut a hole in one pipe and run a second pipe through that hole. This cuts the area IN HALF in the best case scenario, killing power like adding a cork. In many scenarios, the hole is not cut well, and it ends up all boogered up with weld, absolutely killing flow. An X-pipe needs to be a merging of two mandrel bent pieces of pipe with the smallest area of the merge being LARGER than a single pipe. Welds also have to be CLEAN.

If an x-pipe is done 'right' it might be worth a little bit of midrange... similar to an H-Pipe... It will just sound a lot more shrill, like it is turning an extra 3k rpm. lol.. which is what a lot of people are after when installing one.
Moparboy440

Post by Moparboy440 »

englertracing wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:56 pm
Moparboy440 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:07 pm X-pipes does nothing to improve the flow of an exhaust. However they can reduce exhaust sound and drone.
Weird.
The video seems to show an h better than none. And an x slightly better
Average power was basically the same for all three and within dyno variance for a Carbureted engine.
eric8

Post by eric8 »

n2omike wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:17 pm You can get HORRENDOUS results with a bad x-pipe. Some muffler shops (and individuals) will simply cut a hole in one pipe and run a second pipe through that hole. This cuts the area IN HALF in the best case scenario, killing power like adding a cork. In many scenarios, the hole is not cut well, and it ends up all boogered up with weld, absolutely killing flow. An X-pipe needs to be a merging of two mandrel bent pieces of pipe with the smallest area of the merge being LARGER than a single pipe. Welds also have to be CLEAN.

If an x-pipe is done 'right' it might be worth a little bit of midrange... similar to an H-Pipe... It will just sound a lot more shrill, like it is turning an extra 3k rpm. lol.. which is what a lot of people are after when installing one.
Oh I know from experience!
883B6422-B436-427D-8654-2AA86AE6E65B.jpeg
0F07BA8D-2A6F-4D54-B84F-30A237022785.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eric8

Post by eric8 »

Just FYI if you want a little sound attenuation you can go this route. This is what I used to replace the soup sandwich of an X pipe shown above. Magnaflow part number 11385 for the 2 1/4” version, and 11386 for 2.5”
AB7D874C-26D2-451B-8363-65D261A9BDEA.jpeg
5CB5AE3D-5BFD-4FFD-A00D-3C05517C885E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

I like an x-pipe better than an h-pipe because it helped reduce some mid-range drone in the car, plus it's slightly more "mellow" at lower RPMs. I'd have to search to see if any of the old tests comparing x vs h are still around online, but *usually* an x-pipe was worth "something" in terms of ET & MPH, all else being the same.

I've run x-pipes in two different configurations:
- Dr. Gas 3.0 x 3.0 into 3" mufflers w/ 2.5" tailpipes; car ran as quick at 10.9s, typically low 11s, and was surprising quiet
- TTI 3.0 x 3.0 setup shown in attachment w/ 3" mufflers and 3" tailpipes; car ran mid-to-high 10s and was "not as" quiet w/ the larger tailpipes

FWIW, the red rectangles on the image are where I'm considering adding AR chambers after the x...
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Optimal placement from the primary pipes end seems to be key, trouble is most chassis rarely allow 100% optimal placement. Strongly suggest having someone run the numbers through pipemaxx. Safe to say they do more than cut noise, if that's all they did I doubt you would see them on newer model performance vehicles from the factory.

Khaos motorsports makes a nice 3" x, superb design, excellent welds, and priced good.