SBC head?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dynoflo

Re: SBC head?

Post by dynoflo »

993 heads are prone to valve seat cracks. The e85 will give you grunt. Give your specs to shawn at smi and you will be happy. Last i talked to him he was 3 months behind. Ferrera 1.94 and 1.5 undercut stems are good. plain old 3 angle valve job works best..Definately run solid lifter.with tight lash. I dont know about cams for e 85. Never dynoed it on race car motors around here. Pop the piston .010 out of the hole. Tech guy will never know with piston rock. 1/16 rings are fine and cheap and pistons for them are also. Set your clearances for 30 weight oil. Run a standard oil pump. Dont go cheap on valve springs. Set your timing to 38 locked out. You will probably have to crank with ignition off and then switch on to start when hot. Feed all the cold air you can to the carb. I you can run a y pipe from manifolds it helps a bit. Rod length wont make any differance. It isnt all hp on dirt, you got to handle well. A 602 with rochestor will make a little over 300 hp but it will have good flat torque. Good luck
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

What open chamber sbc head would you suggest?
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

i only have experience with 441 and 487 heads. They dont flow very well but you have to look at total flow numbers verses a high flow at high lift. Keep 75% intake to exhaust flow. You should be able to buy a 2101 manifold cheap at ebay or facebook market place. I have had a lot of luck with more intake duration than exhaust. Charles at Camcraft has some good lobes for 2 barrel restricted engines. I have had his cams in 305 engines out run 350 engines. Good luck