fuel return to the tank

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Momus
Pro
Pro
Re: fuel return to the tank

Post by Momus »

Return below fuel level is best practice in my opinion.

Less chance of losing the lower fractions to evaporation with some fuels.
chimpvalet
Pro
Pro

Post by chimpvalet »

hoodeng is right, as I realized some time after posting. Was thinking purely in terms of minimised return flow and later realized the use of a return type fuel pressure regulator was called for, the pill would be problematic as well illustrated in his response.

Cheers
BobbyB
Pro
Pro

Post by BobbyB »

chevyart wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:06 pm i have a stock gas tank in my 75 vega and had a fuel sump put in it and had a 3/8NPT bung put in in the upper drivers side(towards the front of car) for a fuel return for my mallory 250 electric fuel pump. the return runs right from pump to the tank and i am concerned that the returning gas from pump will maybe shoot into the tank too hard and maybe foam the gas up in the tank. does anyone know of a way i can put some sort of thing in the bung to slow the gas down (or fogging it up a little). the return line will be #8 russell line. maybe some sort of fuel filter?. maybe some sort of valve? any suggestions will be appreciated; thanks Art in NY
Have you been running this set up yet? Has it caused problems?
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Another way to route the bypass is to tee it into the feed line just before the pump and make the system looped. I have used this method on a LS bike that runs a low pressure pump and methanol, once the system is purged there is no aeration,,,good enough for a class record. Others might think otherwise.

We also run on the same bike the oil system relief looped in the same way, on the delivery side we tee in a Hilborn jet can with a 8lb blow off and no pills, then tee into the feed fitting.

Cheers.