Can this be honed out or does it need bored?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

alnukem
Can this be honed out or does it need bored?

Post by alnukem »

Hi, From outside storage while not under my control....bad story! 1999 100K 1 ton vortec with high nitride crank. Please advise & thanks!
Resized_20210902_133538.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: Can this be honed out or does it need bored?

Post by lefty o »

#-o id just find a better one in a junk yard. that is way beyond honing.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

It’s bore and ring time for any of the cylinders that look like that,
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

use the fingernail micrometer, if you can catch a fingernail on the scratch, ridge, rust marks, it needs to be bored.
alnukem

Post by alnukem »

Thank you guys!
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

How many times have we heard of, or seen the efforts of people worrying an engine into rotation. They spend hours with diesel [or magic fluid that only their mates grandfather's cousin know the composition of] poured down a bore of some historic engine then pump the cylinder, smack the valves, jiggle and wriggle till they get it to turn over? Just to show they could get it to run.

That bore my friends is exactly, or worse what the cylinder looks like in the engine they are torturing into life, just so they could say they got it to run.

I sometimes deal with engines that have been poorly stored for many years. First thing you tell the excited inheritor/new owner is, do nothing, let me strip it out first, i will do the least amount of damage to what still exists. Some engines will need to soak for ages, and that is only to get it apart, and yes, most of it will still be junk.

Alnukem, you pulled it apart and moved forward informed, good work.

Cheers.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

alnukem wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:55 pm1999 100K 1 ton vortec with high nitride crank.
What is a "high nitride crank"?
alnukem

Post by alnukem »

Sorry, Nodular! Nitride is in my world, it is a surface treatment. And thanks for the words of advise, I appreciate it. I will try to take it to my engine shop tommorrow to get it bored & rebuilt with forged pistons with a similiar ring pack & cc's to the factory.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

alnukem wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:35 pm Sorry, Nodular!
So it's a garden-variety-nothin'-special cast crank?
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

alnukem wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:35 pm Sorry, Nodular! Nitride is in my world, it is a surface treatment. And thanks for the words of advise, I appreciate it. I will try to take it to my engine shop tommorrow to get it bored & rebuilt with forged pistons with a similiar ring pack & cc's to the factory.
lots of cranks have been nitrided. id still go pick one up from the junk yard from something that ran, and doesnt need to be bored .030" minimum to clean up.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

alnukem wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:35 pm Sorry, Nodular! Nitride is in my world, it is a surface treatment. And thanks for the words of advise, I appreciate it. I will try to take it to my engine shop tommorrow to get it bored & rebuilt with forged pistons with a similiar ring pack & cc's to the factory.
Al I think you're on the right track to success. It's my understanding those blocks have relatively thin cylinder walls; max practical oversize may be 4.040".

Albeit Not forged, NPR America lists a hyper first over (like a motorcycle) 4.010" piston and rings. This specifically for L31 motors (metric ringpak). I'm guessing yours won't clean up at ten over but many other L31 will.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

rebelyell wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:39 pm
Al I think you're on the right track to success. It's my understanding those blocks have relatively thin cylinder walls; max practical oversize may be 4.040".

Albeit Not forged, NPR America lists a hyper first over (like a motorcycle) 4.010" piston and rings. This specifically for L31 motors (metric ringpak). I'm guessing yours won't clean up at ten over but many other L31 will.
some of those pits are fairly deep, id be willing to bet that it will take a minimum of .020" to clean up.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Might be time to pre bore the block to clean up, and then see if it is still viable.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

hoodeng wrote:Might be time to pre bore the block to clean up, and then see if it is still viable.
My thoughts precisely ...... WAG guess is it'll need twenty finished, so bore it fifteen and see what's what

If there's more marking one way than another get the machinist to slide a sliver of paper (~ 0.004) under one of the centering fingers to make the most of what you've got