Running an LS lean of peak at WOT?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Grant
Running an LS lean of peak at WOT?

Post by Grant »

I'm looking at an endurance racing class where I'm limited on power, and fuel consumption is important.

Could a ~16:1 AFR on 93 octane work? I know aircraft commonly cruise lean of peak, but this is at altitude where detonation is presumably less of a problem.

Thanks.
1980RS
Guru
Guru
Re: Running an LS lean of peak at WOT?

Post by 1980RS »

Grant wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:45 pm I'm looking at an endurance racing class where I'm limited on power, and fuel consumption is important.

Could a ~16:1 AFR on 93 octane work? I know aircraft commonly cruise lean of peak, but this is at altitude where detonation is presumably less of a problem.

Thanks.
You can do it but I would certainly watch the EGT numbers for sure with a 16:1 A/F ratio.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

I don't think this can be discussed without having the dynamic compression as part of the conversation.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Grant

Post by Grant »

mag2555 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:35 am I don't think this can be discussed without having the dynamic compression as part of the conversation.
We'd only need 280whp, so I was thinking we'd run something like a stock L33. Trimming the throttle to produce the desired power.
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

Why is running on the lean side such a priority for you?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Grant

Post by Grant »

mag2555 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:49 amWhy is running on the lean side such a priority for you?
Fuel burn. Each pit stop costs us time.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Is water injection allowed?
Grant

Post by Grant »

stealth wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:21 pm Is water injection allowed?
Yes. Think that would be needed to prevent detonation?
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

How many total miles or laps is the race that your thinking that a air to fuel ratio like that will shave off a pit stop or make for a shorter pit stop by not putting in as much fuel?

I would sooner be hunting down friction reduction moves that may be able to be done within the engine like a crank scraper or a 5 lb reduction in oil pressure, or drivetrain friction reduction moves!
Grant

Post by Grant »

The shortest race would be 7 hours, the longest could be 24.

We've got a dry sump pan with integrated scraper. Optimizing oiling and crankcase vacuum is a great idea but we can do that in addition to AFR adjustments.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hello,
What endurance environment is this? Marine or off-road? What is the RPM band you seek to run lean? Leaner than stoich should actually reduce EGT because the combustion energy is decreased, however I think that will depend on load. I've done quite a bit of lean cruise(up to 17:1 AFR based on 14.7 stoich) LS based on the factory lean cruise GM AUS calibrations. You might be better off a little bit richer than stoich(~.92 Lambda) to improve the economy when under a higher load. I have one of these combinations planned to maximize fuel economy but I won't be on the dyno with it for at least a couple months.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Grant

Post by Grant »

The environment is road racing. RPMs would be kept modest since we're power-limited, so maybe 4-6000? I know it'll make less power LOP than a normal ROP AFR.

My current endurance racer has a 2.0L MZR engine and has, because of a failing fuel pump, run LOP (15.5 to 17:1) AFRs on 93 octane during an endurance race. We were far enough ahead that we didn't need to beat on it to win, but still saw high-90s kPa MAPs so were nearly WOT at times. Engine came out of that fine, though the ECU logging was not working so I don't know if it was seeing any knock and pulling timing.

I guess we'll just try it and see what happens!
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Do you already have an ecu planned for this project? Are you interested in a cam change to help control the heat? 5th cycle(Otto) style might work very well for you and improve fuel efficiency too, unless you need "bang on" torque down really low in the rpm band.
-Carl
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

Normally not the thing for a race engine, but a bit of EGR might be worth trying. That would enable wider throttle opening for a given torque output and consequently lower pumping losses. And EGR when running LOP would probably help keep EGTs in check too. Sorry for all the TLAs...
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Shoot I can't remember which one exactly, Otto, Miller, Atkinson...a well designed variant of these will self egr with small amounts of vacuum(TB closure)too :wink:
-Carl