Running an LS lean of peak at WOT?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

In-Tech
Vendor

Re: Running an LS lean of peak at WOT?

Post by In-Tech »

Hopefully Mike can chime in with his thoughts. I am not in the cam business nor do I want to be, although I am not lean to the subject. I have my own stuff built for my own combo's and don't sell 100 cams a week. Besides that, people generally think you can take someone's numbers and have "your cam guy" do the same thing. Furthest from the truth EVER. Lobes @.050", whatever seat, and LSA/ICL, don't matter a fack between different manufacturer's.
Carry on :mrgreen:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

I am very familiar with what you are trying to do. My shop builds both sprint and endurance road race engines for both vintage and modern race cars. You are still in a race situation! You need to be looking for the best BSFC numbers you can achieve and 16-1 air is nowhere near that.
Carlquist Competition Engines
Grant

Post by Grant »

BILL-C wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:35 am I am very familiar with what you are trying to do. My shop builds both sprint and endurance road race engines for both vintage and modern race cars. You are still in a race situation! You need to be looking for the best BSFC numbers you can achieve and 16-1 air is nowhere near that.
Thanks, so is LoP only useful at lower MAPs / higher altitudes? I'm not sure when piston aircraft tend to transition to it, but they're RoP during takeoff.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

The piston aircraft I fly do not like being anywhere near max power while also being on the lean side. Now, when cruising at around 14,000’ it is a different story. While cruising up there, even “full throttle” is only 65% of max power, which is like being about half throttle at sea level. Still, often times when I am cruising up there I still have the throttles reduced while running on the lean side. I feel the comparison of a low compression and low RPM aircraft engine and an engine being used for a race is like comparing cantaloupe to cannonballs.

I like the comment about designing an engine build to minimize the BSFC numbers.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

Grant wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:45 pm I'm looking at an endurance racing class where I'm limited on power, and fuel consumption is important.

Could a ~16:1 AFR on 93 octane work? I know aircraft commonly cruise lean of peak, but this is at altitude where detonation is presumably less of a problem.

Thanks.
Carbureted or fuel-injected?
Mike Laws Performance
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Grant wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:26 pm
stealth wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:21 pm Is water injection allowed?
Yes. Think that would be needed to prevent detonation?
Absolutely.... I would certainly have a system piped in. Do some research... water is VERY effective...
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Many times race engines that are reported as being lean, actually are not lean. Most often they
are very close to stoich or slightly rich where best power is produced. And then they knock.

When engine tuners use excess fuel enrichment to control knock, timing is often also
advanced to improve ignition. But, then when enrichment is reduced, we have excess ignition
timing which significantly contributes to knock.

An engine that is truly running lean will not knock. Lean burn engines have been around for many years.
But it won't make much power, either.

EGT is a very poor indicator of mixture or propensity to knock. High EGT and knock are inversely related.
A data logger that captures EGT, lambda, ignition timing, throttle, and rpm, shows the facts quite clearly.

To obtain improved fuel economy for endurance racing, we modify the fuel blend with the addition of
toluene and xylene. An enrichment index can be used for fuel comparison. Simply multiply the stoich
value by the specific gravity.

Race fuel stoich = 15.0 * SpG = .695 = 10.44.
Toluene stoich = 13.68 * SpG = .869 = 11.88.
An improvement in economy of 14%, if pure toluene could be used; it can't, a blend must be used.
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

You say you're "limited on power"

Can you expand on that? Is it a dyno run on race day, a fuel flow limitation, a restrictor plate? How are you limited?
Grant

Post by Grant »

FC-Pilot wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:51 pm The piston aircraft I fly do not like being anywhere near max power while also being on the lean side. Now, when cruising at around 14,000’ it is a different story. While cruising up there, even “full throttle” is only 65% of max power, which is like being about half throttle at sea level. Still, often times when I am cruising up there I still have the throttles reduced while running on the lean side. I feel the comparison of a low compression and low RPM aircraft engine and an engine being used for a race is like comparing cantaloupe to cannonballs.
Thanks, this is the information I was hoping for. We may try it anyway just to see what happens, once knock detection is properly tuned. Maybe LOP + water injection could be an option, if LOP produces better BSFC.
BLSTIC wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:32 am You say you're "limited on power"

Can you expand on that? Is it a dyno run on race day, a fuel flow limitation, a restrictor plate? How are you limited?
Dynojet before the race, and on race day if you podium. They do not mandate how power is restricted, beyond penalties for flat power curves and the like. It's all similar to how NASA classes ST and TT cars.
David Redszus wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:22 pm To obtain improved fuel economy for endurance racing, we modify the fuel blend with the addition of
toluene and xylene. An enrichment index can be used for fuel comparison. Simply multiply the stoich

An improvement in economy of 14%, if pure toluene could be used; it can't, a blend must be used.
Interesting, thanks!
Mike Laws wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:04 pm Carbureted or fuel-injected?
Definitely EFI.
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

Grant wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:27 pm
FC-Pilot wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:51 pm The piston aircraft I fly do not like being anywhere near max power while also being on the lean side. Now, when cruising at around 14,000’ it is a different story. While cruising up there, even “full throttle” is only 65% of max power, which is like being about half throttle at sea level. Still, often times when I am cruising up there I still have the throttles reduced while running on the lean side. I feel the comparison of a low compression and low RPM aircraft engine and an engine being used for a race is like comparing cantaloupe to cannonballs.
Thanks, this is the information I was hoping for. We may try it anyway just to see what happens, once knock detection is properly tuned. Maybe LOP + water injection could be an option, if LOP produces better BSFC.
BLSTIC wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:32 am You say you're "limited on power"

Dynojet before the race, and on race day if you podium. They do not mandate how power is restricted, beyond penalties for flat power curves and the like. It's all similar to how NASA classes ST and TT cars.
David Redszus wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:22 pm To obtain improved fuel economy for endurance racing, we modify the fuel blend with the addition of

Interesting, thanks!
Mike Laws wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:04 pm Carbureted or fuel-injected?
Definitely EFI.
Have much successful experience with similar endurance racing like this. All carbureted though. D. Redzsus is your guy for EFI. Best of luck...
Mike Laws Performance
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

Mike Laws wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:04 pm
Grant wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:45 pm I'm looking at an endurance racing class where I'm limited on power, and fuel consumption is important.

Could a ~16:1 AFR on 93 octane work? I know aircraft commonly cruise lean of peak, but this is at altitude where detonation is presumably less of a problem.

Thanks.
Carbureted or fuel-injected?

Hey Mike, I sent you a PM. Did you happen to see it?
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

ClassAct wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:15 pm Hey Mike, I sent you a PM. Did you happen to see it?
No sir. I just checked and nothing there.
Mike Laws Performance
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

Mike Laws wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:18 pm
ClassAct wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:15 pm Hey Mike, I sent you a PM. Did you happen to see it?
No sir. I just checked and nothing there.
I sent you another PM. Let me know if that one came through.

Thanks Mike
Grant

Post by Grant »

Do you guys have any opinion on an L83 (5.3L gen V direct injected) vs. an L33 with a LY2 4.8L crank in it? I know the DI motor has big fuel efficiency advantages at part throttle, and can safely run higher compression. That suggests WOT BSFC is better. However it's 10% larger in displacement, so we'd have to throttle / VVT it down more to hit our power limit. On the other hand this means the car would be more fun when not class racing...

The L83 significantly more expensive to do since we don't have a bunch of gen V parts laying about.

I wonder if the LY2 crankshaft fits in a L83...
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

I think Circlotron has the right idea. Use EGR to increase fuel mileage AND when on the dyno to kill some of the hp at WOT. Should be easily controlled by whatever ecm/pcm you're using. You could easily command it with the pcm parameters and by using a toggle switch. Fuel economy mode, egr on. Dyno testing, egr on (fully open egr valve). "passing mode," egr off. LS's had a few different egr systems and can be easily adapted to your needs. Forget leaning out the mixture, you'll hurt stuff in an endurance race.