AC TECH QUESTION?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

econo racer
Expert
Expert
AC TECH QUESTION?

Post by econo racer »

Is this fixing it right? NO it is not. My 98 silverado has a pin hole coming out of the firewall at the end before fitting. I would have to tear the dash out to replace it. Would JB weld hold up over the pin whole? I went to tighten the fitting and nicked it there which made the pin whole. right behind the accumalator. #-o
Racer71
Pro
Pro
Re: AC TECH QUESTION?

Post by Racer71 »

JB most surely won’t hold I don’t believe. You may be able to tig it if there’s ample access, I do this on leaking rear lines when possible. Otherwise yes the dash would need pulled, it’s actually not terribly difficult on those trucks.
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

How high could the line pressure max out at? maybe 180 lbs?
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

The high side can go over 400psi. The low side, not so much, maybe 150 or so if it's hot out and the sides equalized.

Pull the dash out and replace the evaporator.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

It's a lot easier than pulling the dash and worth a try,IMO. I was never a JB fancier but I had a specialty air nailer break the end cap with the nipple fitting clean off after being dropped from the roof. It was an emergency and replacement would take a few days so in desperation I tried JB. I built it up around the repair about 1/8" thick and the thing held . That was about 1000 firings ago and it is still holding . I figured it would easily break off but I was wrong. I was amazed . Bottom line is I'd try it. Sand the tube,clean it well with acetone(NEVER alcohol or anything with petroleum solvents) ,build it up ,give it 24 hours for full cure and hope it works. You're out a few bucks if it doesn't and you save a ton of work and money if it does.

Yes,replacement is the right thing but no harm in trying this.
learner1

Post by learner1 »

I've never tried using epoxy on ac lines but if you do try to make sure the jb weld doesn't go inside the tube. If it does and it breaks off then it may cause issues. Also, you might try installing a hose clamp around the expoxy, it might help keep it from blowing off.
BobbyB
Pro
Pro

Post by BobbyB »

If you try the epoxy, you might open one of the schrader valves so pressure does not build up in the system while the JB Weld cures. If it is just a pin hole, I think JB Weld will work. Good luck with it.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

BobbyB wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:52 pm If you try the epoxy, you might open one of the schrader valves so pressure does not build up in the system while the JB Weld cures. If it is just a pin hole, I think JB Weld will work. Good luck with it.
Good point!
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

I am thinking about doing the jb weld then slit a thick ac hose over top then clamp it. Something is gonna happen before I pull the dash 1st :shock:
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Use some Belzona epoxy and forget it. You sure don't want to pull one of those dashboards they suck to do, believe me.