Electric fuel pump selection

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Electric fuel pump selection

Post by BILL-C »

I'm looking for a recommendation from people with real world experience for the best electric fuel pump for a 750 hp N/A carbed drag race application. The Holley blue pump isn't quite keeping up. I just installed a Holley black HP 125 pump and it's defective. Only making 3 psi. I need to be headed to race track in 4 days. No time for totally re engineering fuel system. pump needs to be dead head style like blue and black.
Carlquist Competition Engines
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Re: Electric fuel pump selection

Post by rustbucket79 »

Black should be up to the task, everything else in the fuel system up to the task? (No hard 90’s, 5/16” hose, restrictive fuel filter)
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

A pair of Carter P4594 pumps in parallel will feed this engine reliabily with room to spare.
Dead head friendly. no regulator is needed.
Both the holley blue and black pumps are unreliable. They don't last long.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

Not now nor have I ever been a fan of Holley fuel pumps...regulators work, pumps have issues....I've ran Magnafuel as well and had issues... Now if it's electric the only one I'll run is from Aeromotive....just my preference..

They do have a pump for just about any level of performance that you need and also engineered fuel systems....I'm not a fan of piece mailing fuel systems together with whatever.....I'm also not a fan of deadhead systems unless it's feeding nitrous......
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

Never buy another pump again........

https://www.weldonracing.com/
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Carter 4600, 100 gph pump. 750 hp needs 63 gph, so plenty of reserve.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Any electric pumps performance is very dependent on it being able to pull enough current thru the wire and whatever connectors are used to feed it!
What was able to power the blue pump might not cut it for bigger pumps!

I helped a buddy out with a issue like this once and he had his Son crimp on the connections to his terminal block.
The fix was that his Son used Red instead of yellow gauge connectors and to get the gauge wire into those red connectors he cut some strands of wire out.

The end result was the pump could not pull the current it needed thru what was now effectively one gauge smaller wire!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!