Porting With an Electric Die Grinder

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Re: Porting With an Electric Die Grinder

Post by RevTheory »

Gentlemen, can you help me slow down my piece-of-shit, Chicago Electric grinder? I bought a cheapo controller and all it did was slow it down from fuggin' nuts speed to too-fast-to-port speed.

Is there a certain specification I should look for in the product description? I'd like to kill this grinder before buying a really good one.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

RevTheory wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:47 am Gentlemen, can you help me slow down my piece-of-shit, Chicago Electric grinder? I bought a cheapo controller and all it did was slow it down from fuggin' nuts speed to too-fast-to-port speed.

Is there a certain specification I should look for in the product description? I'd like to kill this grinder before buying a really good one.
The word is, you can't. I have tried to slow down the high speed grinders like that with a controller and all they do is bog down at low speeds. I bought a low speed high torque die grinder off of Amazon that did have it's own variable speed but when that failed I used the controller and it did work great with that die grinder and one other I have like it.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

RevTheory wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:47 am Gentlemen, can you help me slow down my piece-of-shit, Chicago Electric grinder? I bought a cheapo controller and all it did was slow it down from fuggin' nuts speed to too-fast-to-port speed.

I used a foot controller like you would see from a sewing machine. I will never port without it. Easy to get to stop and I can constantly control speed to match the amount of force I am putting on it.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

A shaft drive by Foredom sure works well and they offer great parts support. Mine is OLD and I keep it running just fine.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

That's probably the same grinder I have. 1 controller doesn't slow it down near enough... especially for a 6" long burr. 2 controllers slow it down but then it has no power at all and bogs down way too easily.

Last time I looked there was still no Foredoms available
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Slow down your high speed electric grinders with a router speed control box from Harbor Freight. Works just fine, and mine has been used almost daily for a couple of years without issue, especially with coarse cartridge rolls that need speed control. Will work with a shorter shank(3-4" carbide, also) I cut a 6" shank carbide for special areas where I can use a 90* air die grinder. Joe-71
Joe-71
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Joe-71 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:23 pm Slow down your high speed electric grinders with a router speed control box from Harbor Freight. Works just fine, and mine has been used almost daily for a couple of years without issue, especially with coarse cartridge rolls that need speed control. Will work with a shorter shank(3-4" carbide, also) I cut a 6" shank carbide for special areas where I can use a 90* air die grinder. Joe-71
This is the one I've got and it's still too damn fast. https://www.woodline.com/products/route ... TfEALw_wcB
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

RevTheory wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:35 pm
Joe-71 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:23 pm Slow down your high speed electric grinders with a router speed control box from Harbor Freight. Works just fine, and mine has been used almost daily for a couple of years without issue, especially with coarse cartridge rolls that need speed control. Will work with a shorter shank(3-4" carbide, also) I cut a 6" shank carbide for special areas where I can use a 90* air die grinder. Joe-71
This is the one I've got and it's still too damn fast. https://www.woodline.com/products/route ... TfEALw_wcB
your's looks like the 2 new ones i have . (Goodson and Lowes units)

the best one i have ( 3rd one ) is an old WW Grainger (Lutron 10 AMP constant Torque control) in my Porting Room ,
it will go much lower RPM than your's and my 2 new ones ,
and still have constant Torque ..... i wish they still made that one ... if i ever find one like it for Sale , i'll instantly buy it :D
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

I had to dig deep but if I'm not mistaken, this is the one used in Vizard's porting benches. I believe it was wired to the outlet that our grinders were plugged into. Am I out to lunch? Whatever it was, it would slow this grinder down to where it would simply buzz without rotating.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079BB7VK5/?c ... dp_it&th=1
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

What you want is rheostat, like a ceiling fan speed control not a dimmer switch type control. A rheostat controls the hertz frequency a dimmer Switch controls the voltage . When you drops the voltage the amps go up because you are not changing the wattage of the motor. this can overheat the cord and or windings burning thing out. Changing the frequency slows the alternating current speed and slows the motor down without the added heat. Home improvement store should have them , they are rated by wattage of what its controlling. they usually have a big aluminum heat sink on them with a dial or slide to adjust speed . I Have the same problem with my Harbor Freight rotor control just haven't got around to installing one in the new garage since moving .Dan
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

The question was asked, and answered. Works for me with a Dewalt high speed die grinder just fine. I can slow it down to the point the grinder will stop with any pressure, and still speed up if I move the control knob to a higher setting. The Dremel foot controller quit within a week. For the price, you can't beat the Harbor Freight I have 4 Dewalts loaded, with another dozen air grinders ready to save time. Joe-71
Joe-71
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

how much guts does the 1/6hp Foredom have compared to a Mak ? it seems like fairly low on power level how does it work in practice on Al?
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

digger wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:34 pm how much guts does the 1/6hp Foredom have compared to a Mak ? it seems like fairly low on power level how does it work in practice on Al?
All I use is the foredom. Does great for me just get the square drive otherwise will keep wearing off the tips on the key drive.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Post by pcnsd »

RevTheory wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:45 pm I had to dig deep but if I'm not mistaken, this is the one used in Vizard's porting benches. I believe it was wired to the outlet that our grinders were plugged into. Am I out to lunch? Whatever it was, it would slow this grinder down to where it would simply buzz without rotating.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079BB7VK5/?c ... dp_it&th=1
This looks to be an AC phase angle control package mated to a SSR. It should provide line full voltage (and torque) at all settings but cuts the sine wave % to control speed. Connected to an appropriate foot controlled variable resistor would be a good choice for port work.
Search for "AC phase angle motor control" for a greater understanding. It is common in industry for AC motor control.
- Paul
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

Do these count as electric and as shown has several 6 inch in now
reed2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.