Makita GD0800C SJS electric Die Grinders

at one time i had 3 employees Porting Heads
so we were 4 of us , using Air Die Grinders at one time ,
and many times i had to holler out to them to take a break,
let the Air Compressor build back up PSI pressure ,
you would lose grinder RPM and power .

Then i purchased a bunch of Electric Grinders along side the Air Grinders
to help out the situation with the Air Compressor keeping up ,
so thru the years , i purchased and went thru pretty many electric and air grinders.

I forgot the number of the cheaper Makita electric die grinder
( Makita 906 ??? ) ... this numbers seems different ?? , but looks the same,
at least mine all have chrome/plated front cones ... not Black-colored .
Anyways i purchased a whole bunch of these thru the years ,
some lasted a long time , some lasted as little as 1 or 2 weeks ,
i called up Joe Mondello (RIP) one day , talked to him personally ,
ordered 20 sets of brushes + rear switches + various parts for these Grinders to keep them working,
and i thought Joe might complain about me buying 20 at one time ,
but no problem , i had everything in a few Days .

NOTE: found the number = Makita GE0600

Just a few months ago i threw away about 10 of these grinders,
i have enough armatures , brushes , good plastic housings , etc to put
10 more Grinders together .... but i gave up on these Grinders,
and now only use 2 of these occasionally , but i've switched to the
Makita GD0800C SJS electric Die Grinders with their constant Torque built-in Speed Controls ,
i love these Grinders , yes they are heavy and very powerful,
they must be used correctly , or they can hurt you or cut you !!
i use them at Speed Control setting around #2 ,
setting a 6 or 8 inch long Burr shank higher than #2
can make it centrifuge the Burr to 90degrees at which time you might not be able
to hold or control this powerful grinder and turn it off before it slices you somewhere
on your hands or body as it vibrates out of your hands on the way to the cement floor
where it will flop around and try cut your shoes/feet until the cord wraps around itself
and pulls the plug out of the electrical socket :)

This was the very 1st time i used this Grinder ,
so i had an 6" inch long shank with 1/2" dia Egg shaped Alumina-Burr, i looked at the built-in speed control
and set it halfway around #5 setting which i thought was safe enough , turned on the Grinder ,
the Burr immediately went 90 degrees on me and i lost control of that Grinder !

Sort of funny to watch for a few seconds that seems like an eternity ,
it sliced my thumb thru my gloves ( now bleeding ), cut thru my jacket , shirt , and T-Shirt ,
barely cut my chest 5 or 6 inches long stripe
... good thing it was winter and i had all these clothes on .
Live and Learn ... i now use and love these Grinders , but with highly respect for their power !

Milwaukee electric die grinder
the 1st time i saw this Grinder in action was at Jim Bell's Shop in Houston, Texas ,
Jimmy (RIP) , was using this Grinder like it weighed as much as a Feather ,
he was flapping epoxy buildup on the Short Turn Curve of a #034 cast-iron Bowtie Head
then he proceeded to burr grind and flap the Intake Ports .
Jimmy made using this Grinder look very easy ! .. so i ordered one too ,
man it was heavy and hard to use at first or get use to,
so i used mostly for rough porting , then smaller air or electric grinders for finalize Porting .
This Grinder had a Collet that had rubber-rized captured steel blades ,
eventually this Collet became useless , i robbed a cheap Air Grinder Collet i made workout OK,
and ordered a new replacement Collet too , but i eventually sold it to a Dyno Customer
who was a Welder , when he saw it in my Shop , he said i can use this Grinder , how much you want for it , i sold it for a super cheap $50 , i was just going to throw it away eventually :)
20210919_175454_2016x1512.jpg
20210919_232208_2016x1512_MakitaGD0800C.jpg
20210919_231828_2016x1512_GrindersOld1.jpg
20210919_231847_2016x1512_GrindersOld3.jpg
20210919_232032_2016x1512_GrindersOld4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Porting With an Electric Die Grinder

Post by hoodeng »

MRS, it looks like it will take you a bit of time to wear out all those hand pieces before you even think about buying another one....But......Next time you do decide to get one, look at the Makita GDO810C as well, this has a reduction drive that i find suited to the alloy cut carbides.

As for air compressors, my workshop is located in a residential area so noise is always a consideration, i have been here for over thirty years and have been through a couple of compressors, the earlier ones were larger Ingersoll Rand and CP units purely to accommodate air tool demand. Since i changed over to electric well over ten years ago, still listening to a compressor cutting in and out started to bug me. I bought a Chicago Hush 50 silent unit, all i can say is that i should have bought it years ago, 69db, the unloader makes more noise than the compressor units.

Cheers.
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

Make sure to wear a good mask. You can pick black crap from your nose a week later. :shock:
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

econo racer wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:47 am Make sure to wear a good mask. You can pick black crap from your nose a week later. :shock:
i've been having boxes of the "real original 3M N95 masks" for many years,
also Republic Wholesale Store in Abbeville , LA keeps these N95 Masks in stock for me
as well as 5 Gallon cans of Dupont Laquer Thinner 3608-S ,
now has all the different colored VP Hydrocarbon plastic Race Gas Jugs in stock .

the owner of Republic Wholesale , and i was on same Team , played Babe Ruth Baseball together in the old days ,
i played mainly Pitcher , 2nd Base + Left Outfield rotations .

However , at near the begining of COVID2019 , Republic gave my N95 Masks to Abbeville Police Department 8)
My Wife was "paranoid" ... talked me into hiding all my boxes of these Masks in the trunk of my Car :lol:
"someones going to break into your Shop for those Masks" ... :lol:
You can pick black crap from your nose a week later. :shock:
i use to joke with some of my Customers that when i blow my nose
little things come out and start walking away :lol:
MaxRace Software
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

JoePorting wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:49 pm DOTCO are the best, if you can still find them.
I see them available for purchase, but did a double take when I saw the prices. Looked other places thinking it couldn't be right, but they were all $700+. No thanks.
norm

Post by norm »

I work in tool and die and we use grinders constantly. Dotco and dynabrade are the two main brands we use.

Dotco has been sold a few times over the last several years and for a bit quality was iffy but they seem to be back. Dynabrade is a good quality brand also, i have several of each brand.
jsachs1

Post by jsachs1 »

After doing time with an air die grinder(couldn't take the noise), I started using an electric die grinder with a Dremel foot pedal model #221. For at least the last 20 + years, after moving on from air, I've use a Makita GD603. The Makitas have a reasonable life, do a good job, and last about 3-4 years. Harley Davidson heads and on occasion, Indian, Suzuki, and Kaw heads.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

hoodeng wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:41 am MRS, it looks like it will take you a bit of time to wear out all those hand pieces before you even think about buying another one....But......Next time you do decide to get one, look at the Makita GDO810C as well, this has a reduction drive that i find suited to the alloy cut carbides.

As for air compressors, my workshop is located in a residential area so noise is always a consideration, i have been here for over thirty years and have been through a couple of compressors, the earlier ones were larger Ingersoll Rand and CP units purely to accommodate air tool demand. Since i changed over to electric well over ten years ago, still listening to a compressor cutting in and out started to bug me. I bought a Chicago Hush 50 silent unit, all i can say is that i should have bought it years ago, 69db, the unloader makes more noise than the compressor units.

Cheers.
That little compressor is sweet, trying to find a US version, seems like a CA co has some similar. I was considering a screw compressor but don't wanna spend almost 3k
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

maxracesoftware wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:03 am
econo racer wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:47 am Make sure to wear a good mask. You can pick black crap from your nose a week later. :shock:
i've been having boxes of the "real original 3M N95 masks" for many years,
also Republic Wholesale Store in Abbeville , LA keeps these N95 Masks in stock for me
as well as 5 Gallon cans of Dupont Laquer Thinner 3608-S ,
now has all the different colored VP Hydrocarbon plastic Race Gas Jugs in stock .

the owner of Republic Wholesale , and i was on same Team , played Babe Ruth Baseball together in the old days ,
i played mainly Pitcher , 2nd Base + Left Outfield rotations .

However , at near the begining of COVID2019 , Republic gave my N95 Masks to Abbeville Police Department 8)
My Wife was "paranoid" ... talked me into hiding all my boxes of these Masks in the trunk of my Car :lol:
"someones going to break into your Shop for those Masks" ... :lol:
You can pick black crap from your nose a week later. :shock:
i use to joke with some of my Customers that when i blow my nose
little things come out and start walking away :lol:
Yah I still got a fresh box of N95 mask that I bought before, when this junk hit I was really glad that I bought some right before. Gave some to my mom and still got enough to last for a bit :)

Bryan Maloney

Post by Bryan Maloney »

KIMG0267.jpg
The top grinder is a Milwaukee 5196 that I bought when I started at Hogans in 1985.
That heavy thing will wear you out!

The two below it are Top Cat model 36 EH air grinders. Aluminum body, 1.5 lbs, .6 hp, and were $425. They were superseded by model 300 EH which are .7 hp but a heavier 2.1 lbs. The longer nose handle gives more leverage than the shorter Dotcos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

Bryan Maloney wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:37 am KIMG0267.jpg
The top grinder is a Milwaukee 5196 that I bought when I started at Hogans in 1985.
That heavy thing will wear you out!

The two below it are Top Cat model 36 EH air grinders. Aluminum body, 1.5 lbs, .6 hp, and were $425. They were superseded by model 300 EH which are .7 hp but a heavier 2.1 lbs. The longer nose handle gives more leverage than the shorter Dotcos.
Top Cat model 36 EH air grinders
i've never seen these type Grinders before ... those have to be the longest extended bodies with the smallest diameters i've ever seen :shock:

you might want to use Air Brake plastic lines ... less pull on your Body than heavier rubber hoses .
The longer nose handle gives more leverage than the shorter Dotcos.
yes same reason , thats why i switched over from Black&Decker or Power Master Grinders -to- much longer Chicago Pneumatics Air Grinders
MaxRace Software
agertz1

Post by agertz1 »

FWIW, my weapon of choice, is the Hitachi GP2. 4.7 amps, 25K rpm. which wants a foot gas pedal for most aps. Even better is the "snout",
which is 1.375" dia. by 3.5" wide,(machined) ! Make (2) alum. x .5" wide, pinch clamps to fit in your "Quick Change Tool Holder/ lathe) or mill vice.
Viola, now you have live tooling ! Imagine the possibilities.
Art. #-o
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

EDC wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:28 pm Two speed controllers wired in series.

Works great.
Ok finally got my 2nd controller and gave it a shot.

https://youtu.be/QsF8s8K916g

BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

BOOT wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:28 pm

Works great.
Ok finally got my 2nd controller and gave it a shot.

https://youtu.be/QsF8s8K916g
Maybe it's cuz 'lectricity is still a bit FM (Freakin' Magic) to me, but I didn't understand what the expected result from putting two in sequence was supposed to be. Therefore, your conclusion that it makes no difference / improvement doesn't surprise me. But I ain't the sharpest pick in the toolbox...
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

BradH wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:39 pm Maybe it's cuz 'lectricity is still a bit FM (Freakin' Magic) to me, but I didn't understand what the expected result from putting two in sequence was supposed to be. Therefore, your conclusion that it makes no difference / improvement doesn't surprise me. But I ain't the sharpest pick in the toolbox...
I expected :lol:

Works great.
Yah I only had basic electronics and didn't have much interest in that stuff. But it's been explained to me that the controller mumbo jumbo can't stack as I could see for myself. No biggie it was cheap and I have a spare, one to give away or w/e. Still wanna try a dial switch diy controller but that's far down the road. I'll most likely use my electric grinders for certain jobs and try a quieter air compressor.