Valve Guide Clearance

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Xnke
Pro
Pro
Valve Guide Clearance

Post by Xnke »

Looking at fitting Bronze guides in an aluminum head. It needs to be done, however the guides available are what I would consider to be "at the limit" as-delivered.

The valve stem is 0.310" diameter, and the guides, as delivered, before installing, are 0.313" diameter as per the supplier. This would give, assuming that the guides are truly .313", 0.003" clearance in the guide. Recommended clearance is 0.0013" to 0.0022", per Del West.

Can I expect the bronze guide to crush down that much on installation? Or is it time to buy bar stock?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Valve Guide Clearance

Post by mag2555 »

Why don’t you install guide liners and then hone them to size?
The other plus of doing it this way is that your Correction valve job will remove far less material which means the valve(s) will sink less so you will drop off less flow and compression.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Who's guides are you using ? What heads are they ? I just looked at a couple of manufacturers and all of the 5/16 guides they show are .509 id so you can size them wherever you want ?
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Xnke
Pro
Pro

Post by Xnke »

They're LS 862 truck heads, the guides and seats both will need to be removed and refitted due to a LOT of welding being done. The press fits will be significantly distorted after welding and straightening. Once new seats and guides go in, titanium intakes and stainless exhaust valves will be fitted. The new Ti intakes have a 0.310" stem diameter.

The guides are from Straub Technologies, they're local-ish to me and have LS-specific manganese bronze guides at a good price. I also found them from SI valve, and PBM. Straub actually went out and measured a guide for me when I called.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Not sure who's guides Chris is selling. The ones I see in the PBM catalog are either .309, .310 or .3109 ? They don't really list one as being for the LS heads. I don't have one here to measure and I am not sure if they have somebody at the warehouse that can measure them that accurately.

Part of the issue is if you look for an LS specific guide it will be larger because the LS valves are 8mm which is a touch larger than 5/16 Stock LS guides measure .315 and the valves are about .313

I really don't think you will find a guide that can just be pressed in and not fit to the valve.
Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Xnke
Pro
Pro

Post by Xnke »

I think you're right Bill.

I've found some guides from a Jaguar that are the correct length, OD, and are a .312" ID, but I'd rather be around .309 when they go in so I can ream and hone or just hone, if they're close.

I might just buy some bar and make some. They're not difficult, any machinist who pays attention can get a 7x hole straight and true off the drill with modern tooling.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Xnke wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:46 pm I think you're right Bill.

I've found some guides from a Jaguar that are the correct length, OD, and are a .312" ID, but I'd rather be around .309 when they go in so I can ream and hone or just hone, if they're close.

I might just buy some bar and make some. They're not difficult, any machinist who pays attention can get a 7x hole straight and true off the drill with modern tooling.
What about the ones from PBM ? It looks like the P5512's would work. If you aren't in a terrible rush I can get one in a few days with my next order and measure it for you. What size stem are your exhaust valves ? SBI has a bronze replacement for the LS but it is .315 id. Might be what Chris is selling.
Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I have a set of new 5/16" bronze guides I was going to use in a set of aluminum bowtie heads, never did. Let me know if you need them.
Xnke
Pro
Pro

Post by Xnke »

BillK wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:12 pm
Xnke wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:46 pm I think you're right Bill.

What about the ones from PBM ? It looks like the P5512's would work. If you aren't in a terrible rush I can get one in a few days with my next order and measure it for you. What size stem are your exhaust valves ? SBI has a bronze replacement for the LS but it is .315 id. Might be what Chris is selling.
That one from PBM is the one I was looking at, the P5512. I'd be appreciative if you were able to measure one, although I think PBM will sell directly, if I remember correctly.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Just curious ... what is the O.D. of an LS guide ...?
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:32 pm Just curious ... what is the O.D. of an LS guide ...?
.500 -.501
Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Xnke wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:30 am That one from PBM is the one I was looking at, the P5512. I'd be appreciative if you were able to measure one, although I think PBM will sell directly, if I remember correctly.
I dont think PBM will sell to you if you dont have an account. I will put a couple on my next order and gladly measure them. Might be a few days.
Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Racerrick
Expert
Expert

Post by Racerrick »

Call PEP in Vegas. they should have it.
williamsmotowerx
Expert
Expert

Post by williamsmotowerx »

Bronze guides need to be undersize, then honed after installing.

I've found they always banana shape.

If you ream after installing the hole gets elongated most of the time
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Xnke wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:30 am
That one from PBM is the one I was looking at, the P5512. I'd be appreciative if you were able to measure one, although I think PBM will sell directly, if I remember correctly.
Just wanted to let you know that I ordered a couple. Should have them Tuesday and I will let you know what they measure.
Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com