Is this flywheel reusable?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

AC sports
Pro
Pro
Is this flywheel reusable?

Post by AC sports »

Steel flywheel. Heat marks have come through to the back. I'm going to try turning it, but wondering if the heat marks will be a problem. Runout is near zero so it hasnt warped.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Re: Is this flywheel reusable?

Post by BillK »

When I see them like that I tell my customers to replace them. The heat has to affect the metallurgy somewhat and I dont want to be responsible when it comes apart at 10k rpm :(
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

This will only see 8500rpm though 😂😂😂
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

No runout, but how about flatness ? Tested with a straightedge across the 12+ inch Ø ?

What application and service?
Punishing a worn out clutch ?
Trying out drifting, perhaps?

I'd suspect the clutch cover/pressure plate assembly may have some issues too, since the heavy bluing heating seems to be really concentrated in one or tw0 places.

Despite the reported hardening resistance of low carbon steel materials, I'm interested if your lathe turning efforts reveal some difficulties with "hard spots."

Less than $30 will get a starter kit of chemical for Dye Pen (LP) inspection. Every household needs that capability.
I'd expect to find some radial heat checks (cracks!) on the friction surface. I'd check the back (front?) side too, just for fun.
If there are deep (lots of penetrant bleed out) heat checks ( cracks!) more than an inch or so long and extending beyond the friction surface it would be best to consider a new flywheel for reasons other have said.
A few cracks, maybe 1.5" or less, confined to the friction surface, not going around any corners MIGHT be OK, depending on your audience.

I believe Chevrolet said in their Power books that as long as relatively shallow heat cracks did not get close to the (crank?) bolt holes flywheels could be re-surfaced and re-used. WARNING ! This is an old dude's recollection so must be extensively fact checked, or maybe just discarded .
V12MECH

Post by V12MECH »

Racing application, have your local trusted race engine shop grind( with a flywheel grinder) take maybe .015" off, mag it , to make sure it doesn't have any didn't see those cracks . New one might be $400. ,even with blow shield , what are your feet worth? Even if a good shop isn't close it's worth having it done correctly.