Reuse ARP Rod Bolts?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

matt69nova
Reuse ARP Rod Bolts?

Post by matt69nova »

This winter I would like to inspect main and rod bearings while I have the engine out. What is the consensus on reusing ARP2000 rod cap screws in Oliver rods? Procharged SBC with 5 dyno runs, about 10 street miles, and 15 dragstrip passes. Unfortunately I do not have the original free length of the bolts recorded, as I did not assemble the short block. Should I measure the stretched length prior to removing the rod cap, and then try to achieve that same level of stretch when re-torquing?
BillK
Guru
Guru

Re: Reuse ARP Rod Bolts?

Post by BillK »

I would not worry at all about re-using them. Every Oliver rod I have used uses a torque plus angle method of tightening the fasteners. They do give a recommended stretch range but they prefer you use the torque + angle method. Here are their directions. Read the part about sneaking up on the stretch.

https://oliverracingparts.com/wp-conten ... ctions.pdf

If you want to be certain call them and ask. They should know the correct answer.

I suppose it certainly cant hurt to measure each bolt before you disassemble them as a double check. If any of them are way out of the range I would question it.

Personally I would cut the filter open and if there is no evidence of bearing material I would leave it alone. Thats just my preference.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

If you don’t know how the bolts were tightened on original build all bets are off.... I would replace and be sure to measure stretch or torque and angle at the very least. Cheap insurance...You will sleep better and arp 2000 bolts aren’t that expensive.

I also strongly support the other reply about just cutting the filter ... if your not making 3000+ hp, i wouldn’t be tearing into the short block to check bearings.

Just my 2c.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

X2.
If the filter looks clean don’t bother pulling the rod caps!
If you just can’t help yourself then pull the rear main to check the thrust and the front main which gets its oil feed after every other main has.
If that looks iffy then it’s pull the rods time!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
perfconn
Pro
Pro

Post by perfconn »

Per Callies engineer: Always replace the ARP 2000 bolts at rebuild.The 625 bolt has a higher tensil strength than the 3.5 bolt but it is subject to hydrogen embrittlement(meaning any water in oil is bad).The 3.5 bolt is much better than the 2000 & doesn't need replacement but the cost is 6 or 7 times higher than the 2000.
matt69nova

Post by matt69nova »

Sounds like my best bet is to leave them alone and check the filter. Would an oil analysis be a worthwhile tool to detect abnormally high levels of wear metals that would give me some peace of mind? The oil and filter only have 3 runs on them at this point (have been doing some oil level and viscosity testing)
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

matt69nova wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:30 am Would an oil analysis be a worthwhile tool to detect abnormally high levels of wear metals that would give me some peace of mind? The oil and filter only have 3 runs on them at this point (have been doing some oil level and viscosity testing)
You would probably have to do it a few times to get a baseline.
Jim