Reading plugs, what's going on here?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BLSTIC
Expert
Expert
Reading plugs, what's going on here?

Post by BLSTIC »

So my mate pulled these from his 95 Tahoe (factory 350 tbi) and it's a bit confusing. How is the ground electrode so clean when the rest of the plug is sooty? Is it being washed or something?

No real symptoms, just not running very cleanly when cold (when comparing to our more modern cars, so it might just be characteristics of the era) so he pulled the plugs to look

received_934415454100237.jpeg
received_2912575075660083.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru
Re: Reading plugs, what's going on here?

Post by ClassAct »

The ground strap is ignition timing. The porcelain is the tune up. It’s certainly rich.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

TBI engines always ran fat, never cared for them.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Plugs too cold?
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

ClassAct wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:40 pm The ground strap is ignition timing. The porcelain is the tune up. It’s certainly rich.
The car certainly has ignition timing... Would this indicate too much or too little advance?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Terrible gasoline you get from the pump these days, I would suspect... along with to cold of a spark plug.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

BLSTIC wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:37 pm So my mate pulled these from his 95 Tahoe (factory 350 tbi) and it's a bit confusing. How is the ground electrode so clean when the rest of the plug is sooty? Is it being washed or something?

No real symptoms, just not running very cleanly when cold (when comparing to our more modern cars, so it might just be characteristics of the era) so he pulled the plugs to look

looks like Plug Heat Range is close to being slightly too Hot , and Air/Fuel Ratio too Rich
for operating RPM/Load whenever these Pics were taken at !

I'd like to see Pics "after" Air/Fuel Ratio was correct for RPM , then look at Ground Strap for Heat Range,
Plug should be close to being too Hot .... as is in your Pics... Plug Heat Range appears just Hot enough to prevent fouling out from Rich Mixture.
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Geoff2 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:22 am Plugs too cold?
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

af2 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:28 pm
Geoff2 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:22 am Plugs too cold?
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i disagree :)
what's the Ground Strap going to look like
when he gets the Air/Fuel Ratio correct for RPM/Load Range ,
its going to be even hotter looking than those Pics !
The Heat Range "wittness mark" is going to move even close to the Base-Ring !

i got a whole bunch of Pics like that thru the years, ( mostly on Low CompRatio Engines with Pump Gas )
and when you get the Air/Fuel Ratio correct for RPM/Load Range , the Plug's Heat Range is usually now too Hot or just enough .,
if it were "too cold" , the Ground Strap would also showup too cold ... and you would be looking at Pics that were mostly fouled out everywhere
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
Amilcar
Pro
Pro

Post by Amilcar »

maxracesoftware wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:40 pm
BLSTIC wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:37 pm So my mate pulled these from his 95 Tahoe (factory 350 tbi) and it's a bit confusing. How is the ground electrode so clean when the rest of the plug is sooty? Is it being washed or something?

looks like Plug Heat Range is close to being slightly too Hot , and Air/Fuel Ratio too Rich
for operating RPM/Load whenever these Pics were taken at !

I'd like to see Pics "after" Air/Fuel Ratio was correct for RPM , then look at Ground Strap for Heat Range,
Plug should be close to being too Hot .... as is in your Pics... Plug Heat Range appears just Hot enough to prevent fouling out from Rich Mixture.

Larry, care to elaborate a little?
How does a colder/hotter spark plug,would manipulate more/less heat received on the ground strap, as it already belongs to the outer body of the spark plug?
To my understanding, colder/hotter plug, are relationship as how much heat, center electrode/porcelain can dissipate to the outer body of the spark plug and that includes the ground strap.
Thanks
V12MECH

Post by V12MECH »

OBD1 ECM , may have codes for failed O2 sensors or coolant temperature sensor driving injector pulse too long, what is data stream info with good scan tool? If plugs are correct type, a weak coil , defective fuel pressure regulator in TBI unit, ck. fuel pump pressure, map sensor ,( trouble code) , might be the problem, ground strap color and fuel quality are interesting, we work on these everyday, base thread ring may have carbon on it, but on a good runner , plugs are very clean.Post some more info when you fix it.
Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 »

Verify proper heat range for your application, find a chassis dyno and check the timming and afr, scope out the ignition to eliminate bad coil etc.
A good test is worth a thousand opinions.
Smokey