Benefit to using carb wedge to level it out?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BradH
Guru
Guru
Benefit to using carb wedge to level it out?

Post by BradH »

The angle of the carb when using an intake manifold that doesn't have the mounting surface sloped down towards the front is pretty noticeable. Are there benefits to using a carb "wedge" spacer to get the carb closer to level, assuming raising the carb in the back doesn't create a hood clearance issue? Thx
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Re: Benefit to using carb wedge to level it out?

Post by miniv8 »

For the amount of gradient exerted to the fuel level in the floats during all kinds of acceleration, I am sure the carb doesn't mind. Once the float height is sorted for the kind of usage the carb is in, the degree of engine slant either way, makes no difference.
A simple wedge can create more problems than it supposedly solves, a carb that loosens up all the time sucks in more way than one. I'd recommend a decent spacer with separate fasteners for the manifold and carb, and half of the desired final degree machined for the top and bottom. If there is no room under the hood and you need the filter top level, just give it a little manhandling, I'm sure it will comply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

I was looking at the Moroso 5-degree wedge plate, but thinking there's got to be a better way to install it than just dropping it on the existing carb studs and leaving the angles out of kilter.
mopardave

Post by mopardave »

Brad, i used these on my t ram. /crateinsider.com, accelerator-1 4 hole angled spacers. Engine runs much cleaner now. My carbs sit sideways on an Indy T ram so the emulsion on one side was in the fuel and on the other way out of the fuel. Really cleaned it up on the bottom.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

I'll look around and see what else is available. Thx