rod bearing availability

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

donclark
rod bearing availability

Post by donclark »

I ordered a set of Clevite Mahle con rod bearings CB745HNDK back in mid-June, delivery has now been pushed back to mid-January. Anyone have a recommendation for another manufacturer? Application is SBC 2" journal, narrowed, doweled and coated. Thanks, Don
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Re: rod bearing availability

Post by nhrastocker »

donclark wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:26 am I ordered a set of Clevite Mahle con rod bearings CB745HNDK back in mid-June, delivery has now been pushed back to mid-January. Anyone have a recommendation for another manufacturer? Application is SBC 2" journal, narrowed, doweled and coated. Thanks, Don
Check out ACL part numbers 8B1227H and 8B745HXD.
donclark

Post by donclark »

nhrastocker wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:01 am
donclark wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:26 am I ordered a set of Clevite Mahle con rod bearings CB745HNDK back in mid-June, delivery has now been pushed back to mid-January. Anyone have a recommendation for another manufacturer? Application is SBC 2" journal, narrowed, doweled and coated. Thanks, Don
Check out ACL part numbers 8B1227H and 8B745HXD.
Will do, also found a set of 745V bearings, narrowed and doweled in a Childs and Albert box in the back of the shelves. I recall the V designation was for Vandervell, and they were softer, offering a bit more conformability?
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

I was always a big Vandervell fan. I am now mostly using the Daido that Callies sells. They seem similar to the Vandervell, three piece thrust and all. I don't remember if Daido makes a dowel pin bearing.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Paul Kane

Post by Paul Kane »

Yes the Vandervell is a dead-soft bearing and will embed most all trash in your system instead of that trash scoring your crank journal. But it depends what you’re building/what you need in a shell.

You could just buy the CB745HNK shells and drill ‘em for the dowel. We made a fixture for doing just that—it’s easy, especially if you have a spare OEM rod cap lying around.
We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
donclark

Post by donclark »

Paul Kane wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:37 am Yes the Vandervell is a dead-soft bearing and will embed most all trash in your system instead of that trash scoring your crank journal. But it depends what you’re building/what you need in a shell.

You could just buy the CB745HNK shells and drill ‘em for the dowel. We made a fixture for doing just that—it’s easy, especially if you have a spare OEM rod cap lying around.
Probably go that route, they are available. Thanks for the tip!
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

novafornow wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:10 pm I don't remember if Daido makes a dowel pin bearing.
Akerly & Childs in Valencia, CA can punch the dowel holes in bearing shells for you.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist