Head work?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rickb33x
Head work?

Post by rickb33x »

What would be the effect on unported intake ports on a cast iron head with just acid soaking them? blocking off the intake port entry, and sealing off the valve seat, and guide area.
Would it take material out or just etch the surface?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Head work?

Post by mag2555 »

Even just sitting in the port Little by little it will remove material.
The problem then is it will remove material everywhere and that means where you don’t want that to take place!

There’s a specific basic geometric shape to every port ( even the ones that don’t flow well) and just removing material haphazardly will produce detrimental effects !
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
rickb33x

Post by rickb33x »

I had though of applying it to certain spots if I could find a gel that would work. Guess a bit of light porting and then etching the ports?
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

acid porting is usually used to try and cheat the rules on a class where stock heads are supposed to be used. As if you are good at it, it is hard to tell it has been done.
A die grinder and some sanding rolls are a lot easier and results more predictable.
I flowed a couple heads that had been extrude ported, they push an abrasive slurry through the heads, and it is kind of like a river flooding, it also takes out material where you don't want it to.
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

I knew someone who ran SS/Gt with a Camaro in the 90's that had them done . I think they ported the key areas then acid ported them. there was a slight leak when they did the acid and it had a scar on a machined area where it leaked. I think they poured the acid to increase port volume and cover up die grinder massaging.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Search this site for "acid porting."

FWIW, way back when, it was the rage in Super Stock when unmolested heads were required. NHRA finally threw in the towel and let us port the heads as long as the volume met their specs.

LOTS of different ways, lots of different techniques.