Water feed pipes to turbo

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

AC sports
Pro
Pro
Water feed pipes to turbo

Post by AC sports »

I'm re configuring an engine bay of a Subaru WRX that's been fitted with a Garrett Gt3076R turbo. I noticed the previous " engineer" that worked on the car didnt run water to the centre cartridge. Turbo seems to be working ok though. I want to run water to it, and have some straight barb and 90 deg banjo to barb fittings on hand. These are marketed for such a turbo.
Question is, will normal 1/2' water hose and a hose clamp suffice? I'm more concerned about heat from the exhaust housing than anything else. I've found some water hose rated to 200*c but not sure this is suitable.
Racer71
Pro
Pro
Re: Water feed pipes to turbo

Post by Racer71 »

When my Porsche still used a watercooled turbo it didn’t require anything special as far as hose went. Seems to me watercooling was kinda a preference thing I’m sure it does have its advantages. Most of the performance stuff isn’t cooled though.
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

At work our big container handler machines utilizes a holset hx55, new turbo (non watercooled) from cummins only lasts 1000 to 1300 hours.
Switch over to water cooled turbo and life goes up to between 6000 to 8000hrs. So it helps.
Hoses it was going from one to the other to find what lasted the longest and stainless braided ptfe hose goes a long way.

Hope it helps.

Chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
Momus
Pro
Pro

Post by Momus »

Teflon inner stainless braided hoses with fiberglass fire sleeve.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

AC sports wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:31 am I'm re configuring an engine bay of a Subaru WRX that's been fitted with a Garrett Gt3076R turbo. I noticed the previous " engineer" that worked on the car didnt run water to the centre cartridge. Turbo seems to be working ok though. I want to run water to it, and have some straight barb and 90 deg banjo to barb fittings on hand. These are marketed for such a turbo.
Question is, will normal 1/2' water hose and a hose clamp suffice? I'm more concerned about heat from the exhaust housing than anything else. I've found some water hose rated to 200*c but not sure this is suitable.
If you shield the normal hose from direct turbine housing heat via a sleeve OR shield it lasts perfectly fine, i prefer normal hose simply because you can see and feel the condition its in easily. The turbo stuff I have done that is true daily driver stuff getting 300/500+km per week every week gets normal old rubber hose because in this usage it lasts longer!
Also of benefit is picking up from coolant connection points that allow thermosyphon flow thru the turbo when the engine is not running.
Craig.
Firechicken

Post by Firechicken »

I custom bent aluminum hard line with flare fittings for my setup. Water cooled housings are worth the extra effort for turbo bearing life.
Fusion Works

Post by Fusion Works »

I have fed water to a T3 with 3/8s fuel line for years. This was on a track day type application. I used the OE metal hardlines and banjo fittings off the turbo and they extended 4in away from the center section.
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

Years ago a friend replaced his conventional turbo with one having a water cooled bearing housing. Ran the water outlet to the heater inlet. He said it improved the heater out of sight. Might be just the thing if you live in a very cold climate. This assumes that the turbo bearing cooling water is hotter than normal thermostat housing water.
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

Use a long neck steel banjo and ordinary rubber hose, no problem. Steel will take the heat, right?
How to turn GURU in an instant.....