electric water pump problem

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chevyart
electric water pump problem

Post by chevyart »

nave summitt billet electric water pump probably 15 yrs old, maybe a bit more. it just stopped working after sitting for a while(1 yr) and nothing happened when i turned it on the other day. its definitely the pump that does not work. i tapped the electric motor cover(plastic) and it started running. OK. i think it got a little corrosion in electric motor and may do it again. i can get a new replacement motor for it.. anyone care to comment. thanks Art in NY
chevyart
Re: electric water pump problem

Post by chevyart »

PS one of my buddies told me there was probably a little gunk in the water running through the pump and that caused the pump to stop and then it cleaned itself out. i dont believe this for a minute. water does not affect the electric motor on pump(i dont think so) Art i NY
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

Don't know if you are using water wetter or a similar additive, but I had issues with them killing water pumps when they sat, after using cooling additives. I flushed my system and just run water during the race season and add regular antifreeze for the winter. I stopped having issues with pumps.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Running non distilled water thru any pump in a closed system for even 1 year no less 15 at 160 plus degrees will have a effect on binding up the pump once it just sits to some level of another!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
chevyart

Post by chevyart »

thanks for replies. i always have used distilled water(for the last 5 years) and i did use the water wetter or a brand like it a few times in the past 5 years. my question is does my problem sound like just an electrical probers or a problem with the insides of the pump getting clogged and not letting the electric motor spin the impellers. in other words which part of pump needs to be replaced or cleaned out. a new motor for pump is $89 and a new pump is close to $275 thanks Art in NY
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

Any chance moving some wire/s before/after being tapped is what actually made it run?
Lucky, commutator oxidation that'll self clean, unlucky, badly corroded from leaking seal.
I have no experience with it.
Good luck.
bill k

Post by bill k »

Art,
Is this a motor with brushes or a brushless motor? Since the motor ran when it was tapped
I would say the motor is still good. If it was my pump I would disassemble it and find out
what is keeping the shaft with impeller from turning. Corrosion on a motor shaft will keep
it from spinning. Just a thought. I hope you are well.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Just something to check, some pumps have a rubber plug on the front of the motor. Under the plug, the armature shaft has a hex that will accept an Allen wrench. If your Summit pump has that feature, give the armature a spin and it will probably want to run.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine