General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Lobe Intensity vs Durability

Post by Orr89rocz »

bob460 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:06 pm
Orr89rocz wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:17 am 2.300” valved turbo big block. Mid .700” lift 7000 rpm with One of comp conicals, setup at 135 seat 500 open
Is that the dual conical...............how do you get 135/500?.....what's coil bind?
Its a single and setup taller than advertised spec
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

CamKing wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:59 pm
It depends on the RPM, and the weight of the valves.
For that profile up to 6,000rpm, we normally use a PAC 1218X, 140# on the seat, and 330# at max lift.
Looking at what I have currently (and their condition yet to be determined) I see that the COMP 26918 (Ovate wire Beehive) is very similar, if not slightly stronger than the PAC spring.
For those earlier parameters, the profile in question up to 6000 RPM, (maybe 6500 depending on CID) it would seem the COMP is also suitable.
Yes?

PAC vs COMP.jpg

PAC vs COMP.xlsx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

skinny z wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:58 pm

Looking at what I have currently (and their condition yet to be determined) I see that the COMP 26918 (Ovate wire Beehive) is very similar...

PAC vs COMP.jpg

PAC vs COMP.xlsx
Other than running the springs through a checker, if they come out in spec is that to say they're good to go for another round or three?
Kevin
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

skinny z wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:58 pm [ it would seem the COMP is also suitable.
Yes?
I don't know, I only recommend U.S. made products.
Since Comp's been bought out, who knows where any of the products are coming from.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

CamKing wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:56 pm
skinny z wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:58 pm [ it would seem the COMP is also suitable.
Yes?
Since Comp's been bought out, who knows where any of the products are coming from.
There you go.
Something I didn't know and it highlights the current state of affairs as far as I'm concerned.
It's not only springs that I'll need but also hydraulic roller lifters and a cam.
And the current supply chain issues only make it more difficult.

It might mean a call to Jones Cams to get the scoop and pricing.

Thanks Mike.
Kevin
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

skinny z wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:17 pm
CamKing wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:56 pm
Yes?
There you go.
Something I didn't know and it highlights the current state of affairs as far as I'm concerned.
It's not only springs that I'll need but also hydraulic roller lifters and a cam.
And the current supply chain issues only make it more difficult.

It might mean a call to Jones Cams to get the scoop and pricing.

Thanks Mike.
As for the COMP sale, when did that happen?

I'm only referencing the 26918 spring as it's what I already have and while the mileage isn't as high as the other parts of the valve train were, they're dated enough to be close to 20 years old. Still USA made? (if they ever were?)

I'm all for USA made too.(Seeing as we don't make a lot of this engine related stuff here in Canada)

EDIT: I found this after a quick search. COMP and Edelbrock under a new ownership roof?
https://www.racetechmag.com/2020/02/com ... uity-firm/
Kevin
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Most are owned by someone, be it a OEM supplier or a hedge fund.

Pankl Racing Systems owns CP Pistons / Carrillo / Arias. The P in CP is for Pankl. Pankl builds high end rods for NASCAR and Formula 1, and is an OEM supplier for Porsche AG.

Industrial Opportunity Partners owns Edelbrock, Comp Cams (which bought and dissolved parts of Crane Cams - RIP), FAST, TCI, and Russell

Kinderhook industries owns Racing Winning Brands, which owns: JE Pistons, K1 Technologies, MGP Connecting Rods, Rekluse (moto clutches), Wiseco, Manley, Dart, Diamond Pistons, and Trend Performance.

Sentinel Capital Partners owns Drive Performance Brands, which ownes: Flowmaster, B&M Racing and Performance, Hurst Shifters, and Dinan Engineering. In 2018, Sentinel acquired Holley Performance Products, which included: Accel, Hooker, Diablosport, MSD, Superchips, Mr Gasket, APR, Earl's, Racepak, Weiand, Tremec, Mallory, etc.
-Bob
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

hoffman900 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:40 am Most are owned by someone, be it a OEM supplier or a hedge fund.
And manufactured globally would be a safe bet wouldn't it.
Kevin
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

skinny z wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:50 am
hoffman900 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:40 am Most are owned by someone, be it a OEM supplier or a hedge fund.
Absolutely.

Most metal alloy stock comes from elsewhere (Japan for one), even if it is ultimately melted down and cast here.

NOTHING is sole source.
-Bob
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

skinny z wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:50 am
And that's the biggest problem with our industry.

Private equity firms buy up companies, because of the reputation those companies built for themselves.
They buy them for their name, and reputation.
They don't care about building the name and reputation. Just profiting from it.
They don't invest in in-house manufacturing, because it's cheaper to have parts made overseas, and just slap the company name on it, because the name is what the new owners bought the company for.
They can let all the knowledgeable and high paid employees go, because they're no longer needed. Anyone can send a current part, or a competitors part to China, and have it copied.
Just look at what happened to Crane, before they went bankrupt about 15 years ago.
The equity firm that bought them, ran the company into the ground. They took every penny out, and invested nothing back in. Like vultures, the picked every bit of value, and left nothing but the bones.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Pankl Racing Systems owns CP Pistons / Carrillo / Arias. The P in CP is for Pankl. Pankl builds high end rods for NASCAR and Formula 1, and is an OEM supplier for Porsche AG.

Industrial Opportunity Partners owns Edelbrock, Comp Cams (which bought and dissolved parts of Crane Cams - RIP), FAST, TCI, and Russell

Kinderhook industries owns Racing Winning Brands, which owns: JE Pistons, K1 Technologies, MGP Connecting Rods, Rekluse (moto clutches), Wiseco, Manley, Dart, Diamond Pistons, and Trend Performance.

Sentinel Capital Partners owns Drive Performance Brands, which ownes: Flowmaster, B&M Racing and Performance, Hurst Shifters, and Dinan Engineering. In 2018, Sentinel acquired Holley Performance Products, which included: Accel, Hooker, Diablosport, MSD, Superchips, Mr Gasket, APR, Earl's, Racepak, Weiand, Tremec, Mallory, etc.
Forgot to add, Victory 1 was bought by Racing Winning Brands (aka: Kinderhook)
-Bob