Shiny or black carb for heat

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

DCal
Expert
Expert

Shiny or black carb for heat

Post by DCal »

I'm going to buy a new 750 double-pumper carb and probably from FST. They offer it in Black or shiny, I don't care cosmetically but I want the one which is less likely to percolate the fuel in summer. I have a different cfm carb that is shiny and it gives me fits every time its been on the car. The intake manifold is black so Edelbrock seems to think that's OK. Which is preferred?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Shiny or black carb for heat

Post by mag2555 »

It does not matter a dam bit unless you drive with no hood on and in direct Sun light. As then you would want the shinny one.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

Difference of heat retention would be so infinitesimal it makes it all about the aesthetics
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Unless it's a thermal coating, then 1/4" phenolic spacer and w/e color you like.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

BOOT wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:08 pm Unless it's a thermal coating, then 1/4" phenolic spacer and w/e color you like.

Yes Boot this combo will leave room for a one inch phenolic spacer, I was just checking it for flatness yesterday. Thanks guys.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

DCal wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:32 pm I'm going to buy a new 750 double-pumper carb and probably from FST. They offer it in Black or shiny, I don't care cosmetically but I want the one which is less likely to percolate the fuel in summer. I have a different cfm carb that is shiny and it gives me fits every time its been on the car. The intake manifold is black so Edelbrock seems to think that's OK. Which is preferred?
I have bought several new FST carbs in the past year. The 650, 750 RT-X carbs I got work great and both were silver. I also bought an 850 VS in black and got to test it at the track last time out and it worked fantastic. The only issue I have with FST is their jets will not fit through the quick change holes in the float bowls, so you would need to change to a regular Holley jet to use that feature. I also bought a Summit 850 carb that was made by FST (pulled the sticker off and it says FST) and that carb ran like crap. Not sure what is different from the other FST's I have but it don't work. I do like the black for sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

1980RS wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:29 am
DCal wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:32 pm I'm going to buy a new 750 double-pumper carb and probably from FST. They offer it in Black or shiny, I don't care cosmetically but I want the one which is less likely to percolate the fuel in summer. I have a different cfm carb that is shiny and it gives me fits every time its been on the car. The intake manifold is black so Edelbrock seems to think that's OK. Which is preferred?
I have bought several new FST carbs in the past year. The 650, 750 RT-X carbs I got work great and both were silver. I also bought an 850 VS in black and got to test it at the track last time out and it worked fantastic. The only issue I have with FST is their jeas made by FST (pulled the sticker off and it says FST) and that carb ran like crap. Not suts will not fit through the quick change holes in the float bowls, so you would need to change to a regular Holley jet to use that feature. I also bought a Summit 850 carb that wre what is different from the other FST's I have but it don't work. I do like the black for sure.
since you have bought several this year i suspect you like them :D ,what do you recommend for a SBC 383 that makes 550 ish
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

If the price is the same, get the shiny finish. It will reflect under hood heat, where black will absorb it.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

steve cowan wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:58 am
1980RS wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:29 am
I have bought several new FST carbs in the past year. The 650, 750 RT-X carbs I got work great and both were silver. I also bought an 850 VS in black and got to test it at the track last time out and it worked fantastic. The only issue I have with FST is their jeas made by FST (pulled the sticker off and it says FST) and that carb ran like crap. Not suts will not fit through the quick change holes in the float bowls, so you would need to change to a regular Holley jet to use that feature. I also bought a Summit 850 carb that wre what is different from the other FST's I have but it don't work. I do like the black for sure.
since you have bought several this year i suspect you like them :D ,what do you recommend for a SBC 383 that makes 550 ish
I would say a 750 would work great on the 383, FST's 850 is a little deceptive as it's a 750 main body with an 850 base plate but it worked pretty good on my 358 pump gas engine.
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

The difference is small, but black absorbs heat
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

My experience has been that,black absorbs way more heat, both in radiant heat from the engine and the hot air blast from the radiator.
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Well if the black carb runs hotter then maybe it will atomize fuel better than the shiny ones.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

1980RS wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:29 amI would say a 750 would work great on the 383, FST's 850 is a little deceptive as it's a 750 main body with an 850 base plate but it worked pretty good on my 358 pump gas engine.
Same as Quickfuel 850. Did the guys that started FST come from Quickfuel?

Good advice to take note of venturi and throttle rather than cfm label.
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

What’s everyone’s thoughts on aluminum being able to dissipate heat so much better than zinc color should not matter?
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

steve cowan wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:58 amsince you have bought several this year i suspect you like them :D ,what do you recommend for a SBC 383 that makes 550 ish
Apologies for jumping in on this question but what is the intended use of the 550hp 383?

I ask because I have tested on my 383 a 650, 750, 825, 850, 850AN, and 975 (that I would actually put inbetween 825 and 850 due to venturi/throttle sizes) cfm carbs. All mechanical secondaries. Every one of them worked great when tuned but the way they drove was different and it was in a way most people don’t contemplate when choosing cfm size. All would break traction @ 100kp/h when foot mashed to the floor, as one method of comparison but when driving was primaries only as 95% of cruising the streets would be that’s where the biggest difference was. And it’s backwards to widely accepted theory.