Annular boosters for a QF 750 DP

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BradH
Guru
Guru
Re: Annular boosters for a QF 750 DP

Post by BradH »

FC-Pilot wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:58 pm ... It was on a 7000 rpm 350. For kicks and giggles we threw one of our standard down leg 750 on and picked up almost 30 HP. I almost cried. 😂 we swapped out the boosters and got it to match the power our dyno carb did. What I learned was it was great for having even temps between cylinders, but the standard 750 size with annulars (which these had an .600 inner diameter to flow more air) still choked down a 350.
This doesn't surprise me. I like annular boosters, but wouldn't bother with them on a venturi < 1.56" for my application (450-ish ci 7000+ RPM street/strip engine).
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

BradH wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:27 am
FC-Pilot wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:58 pm ... It was on a 7000 rpm 350. For kicks and giggles we threw one of our standard down leg 750 on and picked up almost 30 HP. I almost cried. 😂 we swapped out the boosters and got it to match the power our dyno carb did. What I learned was it was great for having even temps between cylinders, but the standard 750 size with annulars (which these had an .600 inner diameter to flow more air) still choked down a 350.
This doesn't surprise me. I like annular boosters, but wouldn't bother with them on a venturi < 1.56" for my application (450-ish ci 7000+ RPM street/strip engine).
It caught me off gaurd how much it killed power as there was not much difference on the flow bench. The flow difference was negligible. Yeah, 450” or above I would definitely use a big Venturi like you said. I did like how the EGT’s were much better balanced with the annulars.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

FC-Pilot wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:52 am
BradH wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:27 am
It caught me off gaurd how much it killed power as there was not much difference on the flow bench. The flow difference was negligible. Yeah, 450” or above I would definitely use a big Venturi like you said. I did like how the EGT’s were much better balanced with the annulars.

Paul
Did you reduce MAB and emulsion?

I wonder if airspeed over atomized the fuel?
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Yep, best power was with one e-bleed and I think the MAB was .030. It also kept the fuel curve flat smooth. It was just down on power. Anyway, that is just my experience on one engine. I am open to hear what others have experienced in their own testing.

Paul
ArizonaGuy

Post by ArizonaGuy »

Well, I’m going to give it a shot. Main body w/annulars will be here soon.

Any recommendations on a baseline calibration?
As in: richer ‘here’, or leaner ‘there’, etc.
?
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

ArizonaGuy wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:11 am Well, I’m going to give it a shot. Main body w/annulars will be here soon.

?
You will probably need less emulsion to start with.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

ArizonaGuy wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:11 am Well, I’m going to give it a shot. Main body w/annulars will be here soon.

?
Do you have an AFR gauge?

First thing is to bolt it together and give it a test drive. It will be rich but this establishes ground zero to work from. Adjust jet sizes to where you want AFR then report back if there are corrections that you want to make.
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
ArizonaGuy

Post by ArizonaGuy »

I should’ve done this years ago 8)

I didn’t mess with my idle circuits, they were dead-nuts so no need make any changes.
I duplicated the high and low speed ABs from the old down leg main body and calculated 5% reduction in primary and secondary jetting.
It was real close, but actually a touch lean on the top end so I upped the secondary jets two sizes.

WOT AFR is right where I want it (12.8-13.0) but the power circuit was a bit leaner than I wanted.
I calculated total area of the secondary jets and primary PVCRs, calc’ed a reduction in secondary jet and a corresponding increase in PVCR.
It’ll be interesting to see how it behaves (haven’t driven it yet with those^ changes).

It really woke up the low and mid range torque👍 and I’ll be darned if it lost any top end at all.
:D
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

ArizonaGuy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:46 am I should’ve done this years ago 8)

I didn’t mess with my idle circuits, they were dead-nuts so no need make any changes.
I duplicated the high and low speed ABs from the old down leg main body and calculated 5% reduction in primary and secondary jetting.
It was real close, but actually a touch lean on the top end so I upped the secondary jets two sizes.

WOT AFR is right where I want it (12.8-13.0) but the power circuit was a bit leaner than I wanted.
I calculated total area of the secondary jets and primary PVCRs, calc’ed a reduction in secondary jet and a corresponding increase in PVCR.
It’ll be interesting to see how it behaves (haven’t driven it yet with those^ changes).

It really woke up the low and mid range torque👍 and I’ll be darned if it lost any top end at all.
Welcome to the annular booster fan club :D
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

FC-Pilot wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:58 pm It was on a 7000 rpm 350. For kicks and giggles we threw one of our standard down leg 750 on and picked up almost 30 HP. I almost cried. 😂 we swapped out the boosters and got it to match the power our dyno carb did. What I learned was it was great for having even temps between cylinders, but the standard 750 size with annulars (which these had an .600 inner diameter to flow more air) still choked down a 350. I wish I would have played with an 850 with annular boosters as I think that would have made that engine happy.

At what rpm did the downleg overtake the annular?
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I'm a fan of annular boosters for street, vid shows the ones I have atm https://youtu.be/iyLQCWCN1NI
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

Another great application for the annular booster is if one runs index races with an under carb stop. ET genie etc. The signal can be goofy in this application. I switched to annular and gained consistency.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

ArizonaGuy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:46 am I should’ve done this years ago 8)

How was the A-B testing done? Engine dyno? Chassis dyno? Butt dyno and a wideband O2?
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

BOOT wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:30 am At what rpm did the downleg overtake the annular?
We were starting the pulls at 4000 and the down legs were already ahead on power in hat combo.

Paul
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

I think annular boosters would be GREAT on a tunnel ram. Annular boosters in a smaller throttle bore (750) are going to be very restrictive in any semi-serious single carb engine. Annular boosters in a 850 are good for a lot of combinations, but are still not enough for 400+ ci spinning 7K+ rpm.

My 850 annular made 611 hp on my pump gas 363 at 7500 rpm... and pulled to 8k. I would like to try a good down-leg carb to see how it would do.

I made one trip to the dyno, but didn't get to try the nitrous. Who knows, maybe another trip is in order. lol