hypereutectic piston questions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

garym
hypereutectic piston questions

Post by garym »

Well I need to rebuild the 454 engine for the crew cab. The short block was a chevy factory rebuilt (AC DELCO) .Crank is .010 rods and mains.The pistons are cast and I want to have the block bored .030 and honed.So I was wondering what the quality of the Enginetech hypereutectic pistons are P/N P5019 +.030? Also the quality of their engine bearings and piston rings. Would the moly piston rings be better than the cast rings ?? I hope to get feedback as to what you all think, etc. This is a GREAT forum and I enjoy all the advise,input etc. THANKS garym
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Re: hypereutectic piston questions

Post by jeff swisher »

read about them here.
Seems good.
viewtopic.php?t=3810

I would not run standard cast rings go with the Moly ring set.
Fine hone finish with TQ plates if you plan on keeping and driving a lot like I do.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

A Moly face top ring is what the motor left the factory with in the first place, if not double Moly.
If you have the funds for it I would go with a forged piston since they run cooler and gas will not be getting any better , and pinging from such will take its toll on Hyper’s pretty fast with the power a BBC can develop and the load these trucks are under!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

*If it'll clean up at + .020", bore it no larger. Thinner cylinder wall distorts more and does not seal w/ rings as well. Less distortion = better seal + greater efficiency.
*Use a piston w/ correct compression height AND with thinner/metric ringpak. All modern OE production (and race) motors use thin/metric ringpaks because they seal better without creating more friction; it's even less. Yes, they seal & last Longer than old thick rings. Less friction = Greater efficiency.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Personally I prefer long time name brand parts. I would use Sealed Power or Mahle pistons. If it has been running good with the present configuration then i would see what piston is in it and get the same part number but .020 or .030 oversize.

Same with bearings. If the crank is just getting polished and the bearings look good I would put the same exact part number bearings back in it.

If this was a daily driver Impala for Grandma you might take a chance but for a truck engine that I presume you are towing with, why take any chances ????

I am a firm believer of the "you get what you pay for" system.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

I see a lot of older cast pistons being replaced by Hypereutectic style pistons as replacement when you order stock pistons for an overhaul.
I built a 400 small block in a 1977 3/4 ton chevy 4 door that I pulled my race car trailer with for about 10 years. Used kieth black hyper pistons in it, and never had an issue, except that it loved gas, but it had plenty power, finally switched to a Dodge diesel, plenty power and good fuel mileage.
And as an old chevy dealership mechanic that used to overhaul lots of 400's for oil use, it did not use any oil either.
garym

Post by garym »

Thanks for all the input. I have ordered the sealed power H518CP+.030 hypereutectic pistons enginetech moly rings , engine bearings,and a FelPRO complete gasket kit for under $370 dollars which I think is pretty reasonable.So now I have to price out the machine shop prices. THANKS garym
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

garym wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:08 pm I have ordered the sealed power H518CP+.030 hypereutectic pistons... ...now I have to price out the machine shop prices.
How do you know the block will clean up at .030?

Given that it's already an AC-Delco rebuilt core, it may be .030 as-is.