SBC Dart 200 Platinum Iron Eagle heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1980RS
Guru
Guru
SBC Dart 200 Platinum Iron Eagle heads

Post by 1980RS »

Last night I bought a decent set of Dart Platinum 200cc heads with 49cc chambers for a song and the Platinum heads look to need less work then my 215's did. The guy who ran them said he did not like these heads as they were too much compression and the heads just did not perform well. Got them home and one thing I noticed was he was using an RPM performer with the very little small intake felpro gaskets that were barley sealing at the tops of the ports. Today I pulled a couple of valves out to see what work I need to do and they are already bowl ported (very well I might add) and just need a cleanup and good valve job. I am sure a 2.05 will help this head out and they do look better than my Sportsman II heads, chamber design and runners. Now I have to decide will the 358 benefit more from the swap to these or should I put them on my last years 406 that ran 10.90's with Vortec heads with this set already to go next year. I am sure the Darts will out flow the Vortecs. What have you guys seen performance wise with this head?
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC Dart 200 Platinum Iron Eagle heads

Post by steve cowan »

i have not done those small chamber heads,
would be interesting on the actual sizing through the port and actual cc of the heads.
what fuel would be your choice for the new comp ratio ?
i have several sets of Dart heads and i like them.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

The Platinum series of heads have a good amount better fuel management then the earlier 200cc heads did from Dart, and some guys expect a bolt on power gain without going thru a jetting loop session.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

mag2555 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:28 am The Platinum series of heads have a good amount better fuel management then the earlier 200cc heads did from Dart, and some guys expect a bolt on power gain without going thru a jetting loop session.
do you know what they did for wet flow improvement ?
moved spark plug?vane around guide ?valve job?
i dont know.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

A few things .
A boat tail was added in front of the intake guide.

The rear of the bowl is deeper which makes for a tighter turn from the roof path to the rear wall, this also made the exit vein taller at the rear of the guide.

The chamber unshrouding cut was changed on the shallow side.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

David Vizard had a nice article that showed the platinum changes for the the Pro 1's
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

They are a reduced valve angle head due to being angle machined to 49 cc chambers. Around 21 degrees IIRC. Be very thorough with your valve to piston checks, with specific focus on pocket floor angle and radial clearance. Flycutting pistons may need to happen here.

Do some compression research too, 49 cc chambers on a 400 even with flat tops creates some interesting compression ratios. :shock:
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

Hang onto em , i heard there may not be anymore Dart iron heads made
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

levisnteeshirt wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:00 pm Hang onto em , i heard there may not be anymore Dart iron heads made
That's the plan. Too them apart tonight and it looks like they are pretty nice except for a good valve job the way they are. Going to do that and test to see what the do on the bench before I decide if I need to do more. Most likely not going to put them on the 406 as the compression would be around 14:1 and the gains might not be worth the fuel I would need to run it, but there's always methanol or E85. :mrgreen:
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

I bought a set of World 200 cc heads sbc. Then was told that the Dart platinum might be better. O well. I hope yours do great. :D
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

econo racer wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:53 am I bought a set of World 200 cc heads sbc. Then was told that the Dart platinum might be better. O well. I hope yours do great. :D
After having several sets of Sportsman II heads the Darts are way better and need less porting and chamber work IMO. Will be interesting to see what difference in performance with the 2 different brands. I know people say the Darts are rolled a degree or two but Summit has them listed at 23° bet they're wrong on that.