Fox body 351w swap

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Fox body 351w swap

Post by travis »

I picked up a new project yesterday. I got tired of fighting the physics of trying to make a heavy truck go fast, so I picked up something a bit lighter...by about 1500 pounds :lol:
This is a fox chassis (not a mustang). Question...does the mustang style h-pipe setups designed for the 5.0's with shorty headers fit the 351w swap shorties?
Other than a different oil pan, is there anything else I need to change to make the swap?
Racer71
Pro
Pro
Re: Fox body 351w swap

Post by Racer71 »

Yes if they’re fox swap 351 headers they’ll bolt to standard h pipe. Although I would upgrade to long tubes as the shorties aren’t the best. Oil pan and if if plan on retaining air con that bracket (at least on mustang) obviously the intake manifold as well if you don’t already have one. Of the 5 or 6 different combos I had in my 91 the 396w was my favorite as far as street manners and power were concerned. With ac ps etc made 620 at the wheels with a very flat power curve. Wish i still had sheets from that thing but it was 20 years ago.
Cougar5.0

Post by Cougar5.0 »

I'm running a Mustang style H-pipe with my 427w. I first ran one with 1 3/4" swap shorties, then switched to RCI mid-length headers where I had to modify the H-pipe to work with them. For me the mid-length was the best compromise between the inconvenience of long tubes and lousy collector design of shorties.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Thanks for the replies. I suspected that any mustang style H-pipe would work, but wanted to be sure.

I’ve never heard of RCI headers, but it looks like they have what I want at a reasonable price