Street car
68 Camaro all steel

Currently a World iron block and Merlin III heads
Is running a solid roller
Isky rockers and Pac valve springs
with Stud Girdles

10.7 : 1 JE Pistons (new)

Fresh rebuild just last year

Earlier this year a stud broke and I replaced all 16 but did not replace the rocker on which the stud broke

That rocker must have been fatigued

Yesterday it broke, but when it broke, it became loose and came away from it's pushrod. The other valve for that cylinder must have then come under significant pressure as it broke the retainer on that valve, the spring then jammed the rocker against the pushrod, which in turn went hard into the camshaft and "locked up" the engine. I was 5 mins from home and limped it home. In doing so I probably killed the cam (haven't pulled it down yet, but I can't bump start the engine past that lobe.

It is a street car, but a loud and fast one. Will spend (and does) most of it's life in the 2300 to 5000 RPM range with occasional WOT over 5000. This is not my daily, it's a weekend fun car, so I don't mind it being a lumpy sound, shitty driving (bt not too obnoxious)

Other info:
Single plane intake
1150 QFT
2 1/4" Headers into 3" system
TH400 Trans (3500 stall)
3.55 Gear 9" Diff

I'm going to move to a hydraulic roller and am far from an expert on what's best.

Right now it's reasonably mild (World original 632 Crate motor) - they don't publish the specs, I even have emailed Bill Mitchel and he doesn't have the spec (engine bought in 2010).

If I'm swapping it out might as well go for something a tad more aggressive.

What brand and duration would you recommend?

I am looking at this Voodoo (Lunati) thoughts? Anything else I should look at

https://www.lunatipower.com/voodoo-hydr ... 2-300.html
Hydraulic Roller Cam. Serious street/race cam. Needs 10.5:1 compression and 3200 RPM stall converter. Works with moderate nitrous and small superchargers. Very healthy idle quality. ; Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 292/300; Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 241/249; Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .625/.625; LSA/ICL: 110/106; Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd; RPM Range: 2600-6200; Includes: Cam Only
EXCELLENCE AUTO

Re: Help me pick a new cam

Post by EXCELLENCE AUTO »

You have lots of cubic inches in your motor. The description given by Lunati is likely for a 454, where that description is accurate. Having way more stroke, and bore will make this look like an RV cam in your motor.
There are some very knowledgeable guys on here, but I would recommend calling Straubtech, or Camking. These guys are Pro's, and can design, deliver, and exceed all of your expectations!
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

This HR cam will peak at 5,500rpm, and hold the power to 5,800rpm. This would work well with a stock stall converter.
Cam# BBC, HR75375-78360-114
241/251 @.050"
.375"/.360" Lobe Lift
.637"/.612" Valve Lift w/1.7 rockers
114 LSA

If you want to stick with your 3,400 stall, this HR cam will peak at 5,900rpm, and hold the power to 6,200rpm.
Cam# BBC, HR78390-80390-114
253/260 @.050"
.390"/.390" Lobe Lift
.663"/.663" Valve Lift w/1.7 rockers
114 LSA
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Add 20 degrees to each side. Widen the lobe sep a few and send it.

You won't lose anything below cruise thats useful
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

Blueprint has a crate hydraulic roller 632 that is similar to yours. It makes 830 hp and doesn't need to spin to the moon to do it. A friend of mine has one. Peaks around 6300 rpm. If it's a street car with street tires, you're not going to be able to actually use too much bottom end power, as it's just going to blow the tires off... unless it's a heavy 4x4 truck with big tires or something.

Assuming this is in a car, you may consider calling Blueprint and seeing if they will sell you the camshaft they use. (I believe it is 270-ish on the intake with a fairly wide LSA) They do a LOT of dyno work on their own dynos when putting their combos together. Their stuff always runs really well for what it is, and is quite durable, as it comes with an ambitious warranty. With your given heads/valve installed height... you'll need to make sure your spring pressure is where it needs to be and rocker geometry is right. Of course, you'll need to do this with any replacement camshaft.

My buddy with their 632 has it in an all steel, full interior street Chevelle. With a converter similar to yours, a TH400 and 3.70 gear it ran 6.34 @ 110 in the 1/8. I was very impressed. On the street, traction is pretty much zero and it turns tires into dust. lol

Good Luck
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Thanks all, yep street car, but with 390x40x17 (29" tall) M&H Drag Radials on the rear.

Appreciate the advice