General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Edelbrock 60859 Tbi heads

Post by Justa1time »

Good Evening,

A friend is selling a set of brand new Edelbrock 60859 heads that are still in the box for $1000. I have an 1988 K2500 pickup. I don't live in a smog area. I had considered picking these up for a future head swap on my truck. I can't find much information on these by searching and that has caused me to ask you guys. Who has ran them. What does anyone know? All the dirty details Please tell!

Bryan from Oregon
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Edelbrock 60859 Tbi heads

Post by BOOT »

Had a friend who built a 383 for his TBI truck, it was unexpectedly slow! He sold it to a guy with a camaro that carbed it and it ran pretty well. Later herd that the TBI system(intake & TBI unit) really limits performance. I know some mod the TBI stuff but honestly it's prob more trouble than it's worth. Still they will sell you anything. Not long ago on another forum saw a post about a TBI performance dual pane intake and looked it up, they want almost $600!

If your gonna spend $$$ then maybe consider ditching the TBI system and going with an aftermarket TB unit like FiTech on a good intake with some good heads. Also FYI they make an adapter plate for TB to carb pad type intakes, that discussion was for a guy with vortec heads wanting to keep his TBI. So if you wanted to upgrade here n there you could do the aftermarket TB last.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Or keep the TBI- tune it, but buy a vortec intake and use vortec heads.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Justa1time wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:51 pm A friend is selling a set of brand new Edelbrock 60859 heads that are still in the box for $1000.
Or buy brand-new Summit brand (made by Trick Flow, I've heard) TBI heads for a bit more--$1100/pair plus tax, license, registration.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108

Either way, the ONLY advantage over other, more-common aftermarket aluminum heads or Vortec heads, is that you could keep the OEM TBI intake manifold, (center two bolts on each side at a goofy angle) which dramatically cuts down on the fabrication/modification required. The Vortec-to-TBI intake manifold is outrageously expensive, and all other intakes need rework/fabrication to keep the EGR, re-route the heater supply, retain the A/C compressor brace, vacuum plumbing to power booster, etc. Vortec heads require fabricating a new bracket to hold the throttle/cruise control/trans TV cables at the LR of the engine.. Vortec heads are also a nightmare to retain EGR.

Both heads come with pushrod guideplates. You'll need hardened pushrods and different rockers; or remove the guideplates and use the OEM guided/self-aligning rocker arms. You'll probably want more spark advance--4, maybe 6 degrees. I also jacked-up the fuel pressure just beyond factory spec (which is 9--13 psi) by shimming the pressure regulator spring. (I'm using older aluminum heads with equivalent chamber and port CC, and a ZZ4-style manifold with considerable mods to the EGR valve mounting so it clears the IAC motor. If I had it to do again, I'd have bought the TBI heads, and used the stock intake.)

IF you keep the stock TBI intake, be aware that the TBI intake manifold requires "special" gaskets, the rear coolant passage is mostly blocked-off to promote coolant flow through the water passage cast into the underside of the manifold.
K1500_ZZ4_Intake_016.jpg

How strict is Oregon for emissions compliance? Are they headed for more intrusive emissions laws in the future? The aluminum TBI heads and the OEM manifold should be emissions-legal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

from Edelbrock's 2011 catalog Performer for 1987-1995 centerbolt
Designed for 87-95 t.b.i. and t.p.i. 5.7I sbc originally equipped with center bolt valve covers 50 state legal. accepts factory centerbolt valve covers the intake bolt pattern uses the 1987-1995 73* angle on the two center bolts
specs are 60cc comb. chamber 1.46 spring #5767 .575 max lift 2.02 intake 1.60 exhaust.
Intake port 165cc flow@ 28" h2o
.100 .200 .300 .400 .500 .600
64 122 177 217 229 232
exhaust 65cc flow @28"
.100 .200. .300 .400 .500 .600
54 96 124 147 166 175
Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

Thank you guys for pointing out other options that may be better! I think I will pass on these edelbrock heads.