How much to flow heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Re: How much to flow heads

Post by mt-engines »

PRH wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:18 pm When you get a price that seems out of line for something like a flow test........ my take on it is........ that place isn’t really intested in doing the job.

Which I can totally understand.
Or, flow doesn't mean as much as people think
Or, lights, heat, labor are higher because their skill set is higher....

Or, they know what your goal is, and a valve job will get you where you need...

I get people often asking for flow numbers. I throw an arbitrary number out there.. bottom line is, if you know what you are doing, cfm is a byproduct of proper sizing..

X amount of HP requires X amount of RPM... and the same X equals CSA.... CFM is a byproduct..

Why flow a head for $50 when I can do a VJ for $300.. hourly labor is required.. some are dirty, some need a valve job. Some need me to find a valve.. shop rate
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

frnkeore wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:18 am I payed $50, a few months ago, here in Oregon, just to flow one intake and exhaust.
Where did you take it? I live in Oregon.
So much to do, so little time...
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

I had one come in last week and I told him $75. He said that was too high. I told him not a problem. See ya. Next day he called back and wanted me to do it. I told him, I was tied up all day on the dyno.
reed
norm

Post by norm »

How much time does it take to actually get the head fixtured on the bench and then flow it?

I can't imagine anyone making enough money to be worth their time at $50-100
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

norm wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:17 am How much time does it take to actually get the head fixtured on the bench and then flow it?

This. And that's for something super common that the guy has all the fixtures set up for and can do it quickly.
-Bob
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

For sure it’s not a big money maker.

The more popular BB Mopar heads are the quickest for me to test.
If the head is “ready to test”....... clean, dry, disassembled(at least for the cylinder I’m testing), I’m pretty sure I can mount the head and flow one set of intake and exhaust ports, and have it back off the bench in under 30mins.

Any other head takes me a little longer....... but some don’t take too much longer.

I don’t have any electronics on my bench, so I have to calculate the flow numbers when I fill out the flow sheet.

I have a set of new heads here to have the guides checked/honed, seats recut, and the bowls blended. I include a flow test with that job.
I’ll see if I can remember to time myself when I test it.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

rfoll wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:48 pm
frnkeore wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:18 am I payed $50, a few months ago, here in Oregon, just to flow one intake and exhaust.
Where did you take it? I live in Oregon.
Quality Machine (QMC) in Medford, OR.

He then took it to a local guy that builds Sprint Car engines, to be tested.
k-star
Guru
Guru

Post by k-star »

I get $100 to do one intake and 1 exhaust, that includes Air speed if the customer wants it and a print out of the test. I change a little more if they want CSA measured at the 3 normal spots.
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

mt-engines wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:41 pm Why flow a head for $50 when I can do a VJ for $300.. hourly labor is required.. some are dirty, some need a valve job. Some need me to find a valve.. shop rate
Exactly no one is forcing you guys to do it, I'm sure there are those who will take the money.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

BOOT wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:58 pm
mt-engines wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:41 pm Why flow a head for $50 when I can do a VJ for $300.. hourly labor is required.. some are dirty, some need a valve job. Some need me to find a valve.. shop rate
Exactly no one is forcing you guys to do it, I'm sure there are those who will take the money.
I'm not UNICEF.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

mt-engines wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:32 am I'm not UNICEF.
If your time is worth $300 an hour then I'd prefer to go elsewhere since we know that flowing a head is not an advanced job, you just need an expensive piece of equipment. Same as I wouldn't pay you to sweep my shop floor at that rate, I'd hire someone else less skilled. It's just good business practice.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

mt-engines wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:32 am
I'm not UNICEF.
You also did not post one useful piece of information for the OP in all of your posts.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

It is a basic part of human nature to place a higher value on my time than on yours.

When someone questions the quoted price for some skilled operation, I invite them to be
present to observe (and perform the grunt work necessary) the work required for fixturing,
set up, measurement, and re-measurement validation, and data presentation.

Work is very cheap if you don't have to do it.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Stan Weiss wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:40 am
mt-engines wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:32 am

I'm not UNICEF.
You also did not post one useful piece of information for the OP in all of your posts.

Stan
How did yours help?
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

mt-engines wrote: ↑Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:41 pm
Why flow a head for $50 when I can do a VJ for $300.. hourly labor is required.. some are dirty, some need a valve job. Some need me to find a valve.. shop rate
This is a red flag for me. I'm a retired aerospace machine shop owner so, I have been in business and couldn't do the above, to anyone.

The only way I can see something like that that to be ethical, would be to give a big discount on the flow bench so, the customer could actually see what that "special" valve job would do, in before and after testing.

I wanted my head tested, because I had ported it, using my valve angles! Now if MT said that he could improve the flow by ~x cfm, with his modifications. I might say "go for it" but, there will have to be a improvement, close to your numbers or no extra $.

I do agree with the condition of the heads, be a variable on pricing. My where clean and bare.