How much to flow heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Joe-71
Pro
Pro
Re: How much to flow heads

Post by Joe-71 »

Time is money. Electricity costs money. The "good ole boy" friend who brings you rusty iron heads with 17 different valve jobs with different angles on the seats and valves, and wants you to flow all them and give you flow sheets for the bunch. 17 different flow sheets for intake and exhausts. They were all the same type head, and it took several hours in total. When it came time to load up and take his heads away, he said he wanted to pay me for my time and trouble. When I said $340.00, he just about come unglued. Wrote me a check, went away, and I didn't hear from him for years. That was $20.00 for one cylinder. The knowledge gained from the angles, and my time, my electricity, and wear and tear on the flow bench for the iron heads, and he nearly fainted. I certainly can't flow 17 cylinders at the price of one or two. Since that episode, I hesitate to flow a head or intake for anyone, much less a so called "friend". Just because a shop has a piece of equipment, it does not mean it is available to everyone who wants to know "what my head flows". Joe-71
Joe-71
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Re: How much to flow heads

Post by KnightEngines »

I'll flow heads for guys, at least 50% of the time it results in a job when they're disappointed with their heads!
If it results in a decent job I don't charge, otherwise it's $80 if the head is clean & ready to flow & I don't have to dick around too much.
If it's crusty I just won't do it.