How much to flow heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

In-Tech
Vendor

Re: How much to flow heads

Post by In-Tech »

Pep Boys is $165 an hour, dealerships are close to $200. That's not specialty nor custom work and the conversation. Just fyi.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

We have Westec that will flow the intake and exhaust port for 100.00 and if you want to try a different valve well that would be another 100.00 ask me how I know because I wanted to try different valve and yes they said for a additional 100.00 because they had to replace the other valve and that was labor.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

1972ho wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:58 am We have Westec that will flow the intake and exhaust port for 100.00 and if you want to try a different valve well that would be another 100.00 ask me how I know because I wanted to try different valve and yes they said for a additional 100.00 because they had to replace the other valve and that was labor.
Is that an observation or a complaint? Cuz here's how I see that breaking down...

Assuming head requires no additional prep work before testing, the first $100 gets you:
- Install valve(s) w/ checking springs
- Mount head on test fixture
- Mount valve opening device
- Run flow test
- Remove valve opening device
- Remove head from test fixture
- Document results

The second $100 builds in another cycle from start to finish:
- Install valve(s) w/ checking springs
- Mount head on test fixture
- Mount valve opening device
- Run flow test
- Remove valve opening device
- Remove head from test fixture
+ Replace valve
+ Mount head on test fixture
+ Mount valve opening device
+ Run flow test
+ Remove valve opening device
+ Remove head from test fixture

- Document results

So, yeah, it's pretty much doing the whole process all over again.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

I can't understand the cost concerns regarding flowing heads.

All that's needed is a shop vac, remove the valve, plug the valve guide, and insert a pressure
sensor at the inlet. :D

Considering how little value most flow numbers actually contribute to engine performance,
why bother with expensive measurement that won't be used? :(

Now air mass flow in a running engine is another matter entirely. 8)
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Post by SpeierRacingHeads »

Early on I never charged to flow a head. I wanted to see any and all heads.

I haven't charged to flow a head... FREE LEARNING.
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Free learning, or nearly free is why I have over 3000 pages of flow sheets from the last 35 years. I started out charging $20.00 per cylinder, and have only recently gone to $30.00. When you specialize in a particular brand or engine family, the time to set up and flow is minimal. I can flow a SBF head in less than 20 minutes. What takes time is the Vortec style head, or any of the DOHC heads where there is no valve cover bolt hole to mount the dial indicator to. Special adapters needed and time consuming. Joe-71
Joe-71
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Joe-71 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:41 am Free learning, or nearly free is why I have over 3000 pages of flow sheets from the last 35 years. I started out charging $20.00 per cylinder, and have only recently gone to $30.00. When you specialize in a particular brand or engine family, the time to set up and flow is minimal. I can flow a SBF head in less than 20 minutes. What takes time is the Vortec style head, or any of the DOHC heads where there is no valve cover bolt hole to mount the dial indicator to. Special adapters needed and time consuming. Joe-71
I solved the DOHC head problem buy just not doing them! :)

Here, these make life way easier!!! Especially for center bolt heads. .100 thick

Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

David Redszus wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:08 am All that's needed is a shop vac, remove the valve, plug the valve guide, and insert a pressure
sensor at the inlet. :D

Considering how little value most flow numbers actually contribute to engine performance,
why bother with expensive measurement that won't be used? :(
I can't speak for others, especially because I don't do this for a living, but you have a far more sophisticated tool kit than I'll ever have. So, there's a bit of the "If all you have is hammer, everything looks like a nail" regarding flow tests. And -- considering "how little value most flow numbers actually contribute to engine performance" -- there's been a pretty strong correlation between flow gains on my "baby bench" and dyno & on-track performance improvements.

I tell my kids when they second-guess things after stuff plays out that you make the best decision you can with the information you have available at the time. My flow bench is another tool, just like an engine dyno session, and just like an on-track test session. I'll use information that helps me learn what works and what doesn't from whatever source is within my budget and tool kit.
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

I have always done a before and after flow on heads, intake manifolds, EFI plenums, etc., so that way there is no question if the porting helped the flow increase, and at what lift numbers. Like any measuring device, it is only as good as the control circumstances and operator integrity. If you give an inflated flow sheet, it will bite you when the engine is put on the dyno, or race track. Never a good idea to "fudge" on your flow numbers. Joe-71
Joe-71
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Taking one of my ported 781's to a guy this Sat. for a flow test. $50 bucks so that's a pretty good deal. I will ask when he is set up to do SBC stuff and it will be the same price.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

BradH it took the guy all of 10 minutes to set the head and and flow the intake and exhaust and it took even less to remove the valves. Technically the guy could have tested the other valve and and would have been done in less than 30 minutes I was there watching the whole time.I just believe they more than likely don’t want to be things like that so they just charge excessively to get you to go away.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

No way I could do that in 10 minutes.

You opted to vote with your feet; done the same myself on occasion when the $ vs my expectation of the work involved didn't align.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

It takes me 10 minutes to convert the raw numbers into flow numbers and fill out a flow sheet.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

I will add this. The Saenz with a depression controller makes flowing a head so easy. The valve opener in this video is .050 a turn. Also makes it easier and less time consuming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eEQHjUITQs
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

BradH wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:48 pm Since this is just a hobby for me, I flowed a number of friends' heads for free simply to help get more data for myself. Then a "friend of a friend" brought me a head to flow... something I'd flowed a number of before... kind of grungy... had to pull the springs... etc. I did 2 cylinders intake & exhaust and printed him off a nice flow test sheet. This ate up a good chunk of my Saturday morning, so when he asked how much I said $50. He looked like I shot his dog.
being a hobby guy myself -
it is is interesting how a lot of people don't want to pay for someone else's time :roll:
i just recently stopped doing weekend /after hrs work for other people its not worth the hassle.
had a guy call during the week with a set of cast iron BBC heads asked if i could flow test??
i said have you had them crack tested ? then need to do valve job first and work from there,he say how much that cost :oops:
i say you better off ringing a machine shop to see if they can or will help you out.
i think everyone in any trade has to ask themselves what there time is really worth $$
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"