How much to flow heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Re: How much to flow heads

Post by rustbucket79 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:09 pm In a gold rush, the guy who sells the shovels makes the most money.
A cylinder head Flow Test and Report business can be just as profitable. You can avoid 90% of the "BS" sucking up all your time because you are not the port flow expert. You are not selling horsepower, not selling port flow numbers.. You are not porting cylinder heads. You are providing a Flow Test- Report service.
We’ll share a building, you can flow heads and I’ll sell coffee, guess who stands the better chance of surviving 6 months.

I bet most flow benches are owned out of necessity or interest rather than “this piece of equipment will net me $xxx per month”. A head resurfacer can provide a reliable monthly revenue stream since every head that comes across the counter needs to be milled.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

Is there an open to the public ,exclusively head flow testing, full time operation anywhere?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If there was, what would you using that service be worth to you? $
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

rustbucket79 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:57 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:09 pm In a gold rush, the guy who sells the shovels makes the most money.
A cylinder head Flow Test and Report business can be just as profitable. You can avoid 90% of the "BS" sucking up all your time because you are not the port flow expert. You are not selling horsepower, not selling port flow numbers.. You are not porting cylinder heads. You are providing a Flow Test- Report service.
We’ll share a building, you can flow heads and I’ll sell coffee, guess who stands the better chance of surviving 6 months.

I bet most flow benches are owned out of necessity or interest rather than “this piece of equipment will net me $xxx per month”. A head resurfacer can provide a reliable monthly revenue stream since every head that comes across the counter needs to be milled.

Why would someone offering Cylinder Head Flow Testing and Report services share a building with you?

Decreases profit potential. Better to be independent.
Don't locate beside nor align with any engine related other business's.
Your monthly sales will mostly depend on how you work and network with all potential customers.

Every head that crosses my counter needs a $ flow test $
You get to filter your customers.. Sorry I don't clean cylinder heads here. I don't sell horsepower here.
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

It would not be profitable at all.

Why would they use you? Their head porter could give them the numbers. If you don’t trust your head porter why use them?
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

fabr wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:08 pm Is there an open to the public ,exclusively head flow testing, full time operation anywhere?
The answer is no there is not. The reason is that most customers are not willing to pay what the service actually costs to provide. Comments in this thread bears that out.
norm

Post by norm »

6.50camaro wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:31 pm frnk , I think you've misunderstood MT's statement . I read and understood it to mean . Why do it for $50 , they come in dirty, missing parts or needing repair . You waste a lot of time getting them ready for the 1/2 hr job that it should be . They pay hourly shop rate for time spend doing the job . end of sentence . He would rather do a $300 valve job where he knows the rate is covered not that he's trying to up sell someone a valve job that wants their heads flowed.
Just my take and .02$ on the whole exchange . Dan
This is how i read it also.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:19 am
rustbucket79 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:57 pm

My point was that you are chasing a tiny market that is unsustainable. Would be the same if all you did was cholesterol tests. Sure there will be a few clients interested but most wanting to know that information also want to know how to control it if necessary.

Why would someone offering Cylinder Head Flow Testing and Report services share a building with you?

Decreases profit potential. Better to be independent.
Don't locate beside nor align with any engine related other business's.
Your monthly sales will mostly depend on how you work and network with all potential customers.

Every head that crosses my counter needs a $ flow test $
You get to filter your customers.. Sorry I don't clean cylinder heads here. I don't sell horsepower here.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

While I’m not actively pursuing “flow testing” work, I also can’t think of anytime I’ve turned it away either(provided it’s something I’m set up to test).

I just assess the situation when the head shows up and estimate a price.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

I guess I look at my flow bench differently that most folks. I use it for my personal experimentation, my own engine builds, and for things such as EFI intake air flow, carburetors, headers, mufflers, exhaust manifolds, etc., just to know what a given part flows stock, vs my work afterwards. I have been doing that for over 30 years with three different SF-600's. I figure my flow bench has paid for itself a couple of times over since I flow test every head, or intake manifold I send out the door, and keep a record of the flow sheets. Started numbering the work 36 years ago, and continue that today even though I have been retired for several years. I still have old customers wanting something special, or something tweaked, or just a flow test on something they bought that was CNC'd. My home shop is heated/air conditioned, and flowing a head for someone gives me more data for my history of flow testing. I know I don't charge what most folks actively working for a living income charge, but the flow bench has been paid for many times over. It has had it's 8 electric motors changed several times, upgraded wiring, and calibrated regularly. It is like tea, or coke at a restaurant, it is cheap income. Joe-71
Joe-71
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I was just told today as a matter of fact that when the big "tests" that was going to happen next week the guy wants $150 per port, Not for me. I will take my heads to the other shop I have used in the past, that still charges $40 for 2 ports and I can get the whole head done for $75. Quite a difference don't you think?. The first guy has some kind of home built testing equipment that I am not going to pay for. The other shop uses Superflow benches.
smeg
Expert
Expert

Post by smeg »

I will not flow test a head if it is not cleaned and dismantled first. I charge $50 cash to flow an intake and exhaust, with that I give a full report.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

WeingartnerRacing wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:49 am It would not be profitable at all.

Why would they use you? Their head porter could give them the numbers. If you don’t trust your head porter why use them?
Yep!!!! The numbers they want to see!!!

Had a set of SB2 heads flowed 15 years ago to sell and the 377@ 800 turned off most buyers! they were looking at 400+ like really??
That was with a small port for fks saake!!

I paid $100 cash
GURU is only a name.
Adam
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

frnkeore wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:09 pm [quote=af2 post_id=90

No one has talked about the jobs that they made a killing on, only the ones that "cost" them time. It all works out in the end or you dam sure wouldn't be doing it, now would you?
Funny I just talked to Dave today about that he knows being self employed what it takes. Had a day today that cost me $ and Dave said don't pay me and I got Pissed and said you won't work for me then.
Tomorrow we make money!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

I have a set of new heads here to have the guides checked/honed, seats recut, and the bowls blended. I include a flow test with that job.
I’ll see if I can remember to time myself when I test it.
I flowed this head the other day.
Starting with a “ready to flow” head(disassembled, clean, dry), time starts with the head sitting on the work bench, and ends after head is off the flow bench and the flow sheet has been filled out(no electronics, so flow has to be calculated and sheet manually filled out).

This particular head was a 440 Source Stealth. This style of head(BB Mopar wedge) are what I flow most often and am set up to be able to do them pretty efficiently.

Total time for one intake/one exhaust: 35 mins.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.