Dart NEW REVISED SHP SBC Cylinder Heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Re: Dart NEW REVISED SHP SBC Cylinder Heads

Post by RevTheory »

They look really sweet so far. I watched a video Eric Weingartner did on a different head where he talked about getting a little more detail (paraphrase) out of assembled heads so that's the way I went. I got the ones assembled with low-rate springs for a hyd/flat cam since I wanted beehives anyway.

They had green masking tape over all of the coolant holes and along all four edges of the deck. No burrs, no nicks thus far. I think I'll have the shop sink the exhaust valves as they're a little proud but I'm really pleased. I may find a shit-show when I pull the valves but I can't be anything other than really impressed so far.

Now Jeg's throwing both heads in one box and kicking it out the door is another story but you can't really complain when shipping is free with a purchase over $250. The individual packaging from Dart was great.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Yah my plat pro1's had green tape. Guess Dart doesn't care about Bare head customers, prob picks the better heads to assemble. I don't use a single part that they ship with assembled heads these days and got enough of take off stuff already LOL

The main thing that bugs me is the plugs holes, this side has spots on either side so be sure to check yours.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Rev or Boot
Any chance of looking at factory valve job please
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

steve cowan wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:51 pm Rev or Boot
Any chance of looking at factory valve job please
I surely will. Been going seven days a week since late Sept. and my garage is a disaster.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Waiting to see what they say and if I'm gonna get a 3rd head LOL https://youtu.be/g3hEUp-_MWU

steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Hey Boot
Do the new heads have provisions for a 3/8" pushrod??
steve c
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

I pulled the valves from two cylinders for a look-see. To my less-than-experienced valve seat configuration eye, the intakes look really good. I'm unsure about the exhaust so me thinks I'll likely have the shop sink them .025ish, I'll throw a radius on there and then have them stone a 45* seat. I need to do a quick lap and see how that looks. Opinions surely welcome.

I'm a little curious as to the parting line under the seat. It's on both intakes that I pulled and pretty much full circumference.
IMG_0182.jpg
IMG_0183.jpg
IMG_0184.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0186 (1).jpg
IMG_0187.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Thx for sharing some pics of your heads.

Appears your assembled heads may have the same plug hole defect. I'd tear em down completely and inspect them still(would any brand), had a friend who bought Dart assembled BBC heads and found two broken keepers about a decade or so ago. Think the Plat Pro1s that I bought New were in 2007
same defect.jpg
same defect2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Are you guys going to run 3/8" pushrods??
My trickflow heads are same setup as new dart 180 with pushrod hole on intake.
Look at my older SHP 180 heads
20211214_180707.jpg
20211214_180453.jpg
20211214_180447.jpg
20211214_180435.jpg
steve c
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Steve, I tend to doubt that my application requires it and to be honest, I haven't really looked into whether or not they'll fit. The machined hole measures .625 in diameter.

I did measure a port and got 1.91h x 1.06w with 3/8 corner radii (need to remember the math for mcsa #-o )

I measured 1.82 for the throat- 90%

I get somewhere between 1.88 and 1.896 for bowl width measured just at the top of the guide. I'll do that one again with fresher eyes.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

RevTheory wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:36 am Steve, I tend to doubt that my application requires it and to be honest, I haven't really looked into whether or not they'll fit. The machined hole measures .625 in diameter.

I did measure a port and got 1.91h x 1.06w with 3/8 corner radii (need to remember the math for mcsa #-o )

I measured 1.82 for the throat- 90%

I get somewhere between 1.88 and 1.896 for bowl width measured just at the top of the guide. I'll do that one again with fresher eyes.
On my 180 heads the pinch is 2.27" it did blow through a couple but I repaired.
I suspect your rpm range will be 6000 max so those heads won't need a lot of work.
I am receiving my new pistons in next week or 2 for my vortec block,Scat 3.75" crank ,6 " rod.
I remember you asking about the piston skirt coming through the bottom of the bore so I went tighter smaller ring pack and shorter skirt so that should help the situation.
steve c
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Well, they port up pretty well. They have that damn head bolt boss on the common-wall side so I wasn't too comfortable going after more bowl width as that boss would jack up my transition into and out of more width at the apex so I went up on the roof a little. I did get *some* width on both sides but not like you'd probably expect. It pours right at 185cc now: 1.88 mcsa and right at 91% throat. Chambers now pour 70cc so I can run 5cc valve reliefs and get 10.35:1 compression.

Couple of shots along the way:
IMG_0240.jpg
IMG_0236.jpg
IMG_0248.jpg
IMG_0249.jpg
IMG_0250.jpg
IMG_0235.jpg
Edit: Oh for frick sakes. If anyone knows how to keep it from rotating pics, I'm all ears.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

RevTheory wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:25 am Well, they port up pretty well. They have that damn head bolt boss on the common-wall side so I wasn't too comfortable going after more bowl width as that boss would jack up my transition into and out of more width at the apex so I went up on the roof a little. I did get *some* width on both sides but not like you'd probably expect. It pours right at 185cc now: 1.88 mcsa and right at 91% throat. Chambers now pour 70cc so I can run 5cc valve reliefs and get 10.35:1 compression.

Couple of shots along the way:

IMG_0240.jpg
IMG_0236.jpg
IMG_0248.jpg
IMG_0249.jpg
IMG_0250.jpg
IMG_0235.jpg

Edit: Oh for frick sakes. If anyone knows how to keep it from rotating pics, I'm all ears.
Do you feel reliving the area on the quench side of the chamber on the exhaust side helps much and I do see people do both sides, Does it help flow ?
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

1980RS wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:48 pm Do you feel reliving the area on the quench side of the chamber on the exhaust side helps much and I do see people do both sides, Does it help flow ?
I don't know if it shows up on a bench or not. The idea is that when the piston clears the quench, that little cut gives a place for the exhaust to slow down and turn into the still-open exhaust rather than getting shot straight over the top of the valve at high speed. I've never tried it before as you can tell from my ugly cuts, lol.

I'm having a hard time getting the lighting right and I think my iPhone may be "fixing" the very thing I'm trying to show with a pic but this is about all I know to do without a bench. I think I've hit all the spots that would keep a head from making the turn and flowing out to high lifts. All I can do now is send it to a buddy who has a bench and see how it does.

If it's above 300 avg. fps and doesn't back up at high lifts, I'll be a happy boy.
IMG_0252.jpg
IMG_0253.jpg
IMG_0254.jpg
IMG_0255.jpg
IMG_0256.jpg
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

RevTheory wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:18 am
1980RS wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:48 pm Do you feel reliving the area on the quench side of the chamber on the exhaust side helps much and I do see people do both sides, Does it help flow ?
I don't know if it shows up on a bench or not. The idea is that when the piston clears the quench, that little cut gives a place for the exhaust to slow down and turn into the still-open exhaust rather than getting shot straight over the top of the valve at high speed. I've never tried it before as you can tell from my ugly cuts, lol.

I'm having a hard time getting the lighting right and I think my iPhone may be "fixing" the very thing I'm trying to show with a pic but this is about all I know to do without a bench. I think I've hit all the spots that would keep a head from making the turn and flowing out to high lifts. All I can do now is send it to a buddy who has a bench and see how it does.

If it's above 300 avg. fps and doesn't back up at high lifts, I'll be a happy boy.

IMG_0252.jpg
IMG_0253.jpg
IMG_0254.jpg
IMG_0255.jpg
IMG_0256.jpg
Those heads look great to me.